• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morson Opener Report???

Hi Eastwind

Some of the guys are finding it a little slow , walleyes are not on the sand beaches ... my wife caught this 27 inch Walleye in 19 fow - rock bottom, opening day full-39664-33276-img_0041.jpg

Hoping the rain and wind dies down to go out tomorrow

Cheers

Rob

Nice fish Rob!

Sounds like you folks are getting a drenching up there. Hopefully, the foul weather will be through by the time I get up there mid week.

Might be a little cool yet for "Beach" weather, with the ice just going out last week. Half the fun is finding them, anyway.

Talked to my Dad who was up to the cabin and he said the opposite. Found big females on the south facing sand beaches in 4-6 FOW. Not a ton of fish but the ones he caught were good size.

MuskieDowg,

I have to agree that your fish is awesome. I'm questioning if your fishing partner had anything to do with such a nice catch. He seems to have all the skills and you are more the entertainment.

Please confirm.

First and most important, what a nice 'Eye MuskieDowg.

We drove up Tuesday, through rain pretty much the whole way. The rain stopped as we pulled in to the resort. Dry from then on and bright blue skies Wed thru Friday. We really struggled to find the 'Eyes on Wed but the fishing picked up for Thursday and Friday. My buddy boated a nice 27" and we both caught quite a few from 15" to 18". Best depth was 24' to 26'. Also got some nice Crappies, with a few being from 14" to 16". Looking forward to getting back up in July.

Finally back on the LOTW waters again. Fished Saturday - Monday with good fishing to report. East/SE wind all weekend. Saturday was cloudy, but Sunday and Monday were sunny. We fished sand and rip-rap bays for walleyes with jigs and minnows/plastics, netting nice eater size fish (16-18") in 4-8 feet. Marked some fish in 10 -14 feet but never really tried that deep. Best success = warmer water (53-54 degrees on my depth finder). Wasn't fast and furious catching, with about one every 10-15 minutes, but fish were almost all 15" plus. Went to Miles Bay and didn't do much with the cooler water up there. Had better fishing around the Sunset Channel area.

Caught my largest LOTW walleye Sunday afternoon in 4 feet pitching a jig and minnow - 28".

Back up in a few weeks.

28.jpg

This statement is 67% true marknamy. The statement "Hey, lets hug this shoreline a little closer." will forever be in my ear if my fishing partner that day has anything to say about it. smile

Thank you all for the congrats and best of luck catching your records this year!

Beautiful fish all.

My group is heading up Saturday, June 1st staying at Buena Vista. This is our first trip to Morson as we usually fish the Kenora area but decided to try something new this year. Really looking forward to all the great things I’ve heard about the Morson area!

Where to start fishing for walleyes? Probably the shallow shoreline and work out from there. Will give a quick report on our return.

Where to start fishing for walleyes? Probably the shallow shoreline and work out from there. Will give a quick report on our return.

RC,

BV will put you on fish or at least point you in the right direction. Based on our fishing last weekend, I'd look along the rip rap shores - depending on the wind - along the Sunset Channel. 4-8 feet or so. Miles Bay was cold for us last weekend, but there's about a mile or so of good shoreline in the north east corner. Water will be warmer up there now. There's also some nice shoreline and bays just to the west of BV.

A quick Morson trip report - June 1st – June 8th – Buena Vista Resort.

Drove up Saturday morning trailering our own boats. We went through Baudette to Rainy River where the wait at the border was minimal. Paid duty on the extra beer ($10 per case) and made it to the resort by 2pm. Talked to the owners and boated our stuff over to Brule Island where our cabin was.

Fished for walleye almost exclusively over the next 6 days. We caught a lot of fish, ate a lot of fish, and brought home our limit of walleye. We found fish in water anywhere from 10 to 25 feet deep. The biggest walleye was 24 inches long. A bunch of small fish under 14 inches were also caught. We used Lindy type rigs with leeches, minnows, and crawlers. I didn’t notice a big difference of catch rate in which bait was used. We did catch some small mouth and northern using these rigs while fishing for walleye.

We burned a lot of gas running from spot to spot. Fishing wasn’t ‘hot’ in any one spot. We would catch a few fish and then move to the next spot. We fished around Brule Island, a bunch of the islands around Sunset Channel, a number of the islands and shoreline in Miles Bay, up towards Thompson Creek, Rabbit Island, Rabbit Point, Raspberry Island, Buffy and Bluff Islands, and some of the various buoy’s around the area. We never made it up to Obabikon Lake as planned.

It was an excellent trip and am already looking forward to the next trip to the Morson area – oh yea, here’s a musky that I caught (and released) on 8 lb test with a 6 lb leader using a small minnow fishing for walleye up around Raspberry Island. Don’t know the length or weight but it was pretty heavy as it almost broke the net getting into the boat!

a>

Good fishing all.

Had a great weekend of fishing! Caught walleyes trolling spinners/bouncers with minnows and crawlers or jigging. About any point and shoreline on the windward side of the Sunset channel and up north of the channel held fish. Also fished up buy Firebag and Rubber island and did really well. Left lots of fish behind/threw back a lot of nice eaters. Biggest was only about 22", but lots of that size down to 15". Most of our fish came in 17 feet, but caught them in about 10 feet Sunday morning. Back up Thursday night.

2001-12-31230000-3.jpg

2001-12-31230000-9.jpg

2001-12-31230000-2.jpg

See Shorelunch's report - it's like I was in the same boat! We were on fish in 10 to 20 fow. Dragging hammered brass and bouncers with minnows and crawlers around Miles Bay. Didn't notice a big difference in effectivness between the two baits. Landed three 20"+ eyes in a row! We just wanted some eaters! I know... frustrating right?! The size of fish was outstanding all weekend with only a handful of 12" or smaller landed. Gotta love culling 15" eyes. Caught a nice 35" pike and a couple smallies as well on the weekend. Ice cold beer and good company rounded off another great weekend in the islands.