• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

add seat or no?

mrpike1973

hi i bought a new g3 guide v14 boat. full-26005-33215-resize.jpg

it has the split rear seat instead of a bench seat. i was going to mount a seat on the right side but after looking on the net etc. not finding many people putting a seat there would it be a mistake to put on on i just dont want to put holes in the metal unless i have to thanks here is a stock photo so you know what it looks like thank you

I would get out in the boat a few times and see where I like to sit and be able to control the boat and be comfortable...then I would decide where I wanted the seat.

The only downside is that it will be stationary (most likely) I have a stationary seat at that spot in my boat the previous owner mounted it at an angle so that my arm is not straining.

Go to fleet farm and get the mounting bracket that fits over the bench (no screws). Then pick out a chair to mount to the adjustble bracket and your good. Depending on the seat you pick, you could be less then 60 bucks for the whole deal and it will swivel and you can take it off. I have three of them in my 14 ft alumnacraft. I'm heading to the lake after work and can take pics if you want.

hi i bought a new g3 guide v14 boat. full-26005-33215-resize.jpg

it has the split rear seat instead of a bench seat. i was going to mount a seat on the right side but after looking on the net etc. not finding many people putting a seat there would it be a mistake to put on on i just dont want to put holes in the metal unless i have to thanks here is a stock photo so you know what it looks like thank you

could you put a seat back there. yes you could but the thing to remember about this style of boat is that it is made to used by anyone. if you add a seat on one side and then later you decide to sell the boat the next owner might want to be on the opposite side. Now the next owner would have a useless seat of holes in the bench from where you had the seat. with a boat like this I would just sit on a throwable cushion on the side you perfer. personally I like this split rear seat style better then the full bench seat in the rear. My very first boat was a 14 flat bottom jon boat with a 5HP. I bought the clamp on style seat base since the last seat where I sat was a bench style seat that was across the full back end. after trying the seat I found that I was more comfortable with just sitting on a throw instead of a actual seat. It's ultimately your choice but remember to think about future resellability too before doing any major mods or additions.

hi guys thanks for the replies i'm considering just using a throw cushion. i have tried it a few times. its hard on my back but i like the idea i can move around. however a seat would be nice. i thought i could just mount a swivel 4 screws and put the seat on there but i'm afraid the top metal will start to bend

I do not think that 4 small mounting holes in the seat would be any deterrent in reselling your boat if you decided to mount a swivel seat in the back and then decided not to use it.

I would be a little concerned that the addition of a swivel seat may high center you body weight on that shallow of a boat though.????

I have added the swivel seats to my smaller 14' Lund boats and they sure save your back!

Cliff

Put down a peice of marine grade plywood, teak, or cedar to that back location. Treat with Spar Varnish or Boiled Linseed Oil. If you want to go all out, put some indoor/outdoor carpet on it.

Then mount a swivel base and a boat seat of your choice.

The holes will not be as noticeable, and the addition of the swivel makes a big difference in the comfort and usablility of a boat.

Just my 2c

i actually built a small seat holder. basically a 2x4 with another 2x4 in a l shape mounted a small piece of plywood for a base. screwed the swivel to this i will put some carpet or something down so i dont scratch the top of it. i wont mount it permanent to the top of the metal seat just to see how it works. being removable if i dont like it i'm not out any thing. i like the idea of using plywood. i could counter sink the screws under neath it so it wouldnt wreck the top and being wider i think it would be more stable carpet would prevent scratching. if i can figure out how to do a pic i'll show you what i did thanks all

I do not think that 4 small mounting holes in the seat would be any deterrent in reselling your boat if you decided to mount a swivel seat in the back and then decided not to use it.

+1

I highly doubt anyone ever saying "dang, I would have bought it but they use to have a seat mounted there". It's not going to happen.

Anything else added to it (2x4's, plywood, blah blah blah) will only add weight and something else to rot and look crappier than any 4 little holes will.

I would just go ahead and mount it with screws or bolts. Those temp or clam on seats always seen to work their way out of place or loose whenever you get into any kind of chop on the lake.

In the end it is your boat, you paid for it, do whatever makes you most comfortable wink

i'm not technically worried about 4 screw holes. right now i could put the seat swivel flush with the edge of the bench. run 4 screws through and by turning the swivel put 1 screw in at a time in the seat and done. what i'm most worried about is the aluminum on top by my weight over time i dont know if it would start to bend or crease from weight. i have seen this with the clamp on seats where the base wears in and bends being this is new i'll hopefully have it for a long time because this is what i wanted. i want it to look good yes. i could build it up a piece of plywood etc under it but then i'm just defeating the purpose of having a nice looking boat. my basic worry is i've never seen a boat like this with the split seat and didnt know if people put seats there or not. i have had it out a few times and love the openness of the layout. for trolling its hard on my back i have a pinched sciatic nerve that has caused me pain. i thought a seat may help. sorry got on my soap box i'll try my little homemade seat for a while and see if it works thanks .

i went to see my marine dr. today to pickup my boat. i bought a chunk of 1/4 aluminum with a bend in it looks like a l i put that down then i'll have strength from the l iron and a base that runs back to the base of the seat . he said with the plate it wont bend and just paint the aluminum and it will work just fine.

I wonder whether you're going to find it difficult to turn the motor all the way if you sit on the right. Of course the problem would be the same if you were on the left. Perhaps taking it out for a few runs before you mount the seat would be wise. You really don't know how well it will work or how far front or back you would want it on the seat. I have a 14 feet with a bench and found that I had to have the seat a bit right of center in order to deal with the arm of the motor. When I want to turn sharply to the left I have to cock the arm part way up to get it past the seat. Your aluminum bracket sounds like a good solution no matter where you end up putting the seat.

Give some thought to what seat you buy. I bought some of the cheaper ones and found that the back broke pretty quickly if I leaned back too far.