• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Abu Garcia EON Reels

troutsy

Question

I'm looking for a new reel for a musky rod, and was considering an EON. Does anyone have any experience with these reels? Are they easy to use, built well, worth the price, etc. Or is there a better reel out there that is under $100.

5 answers to this question

It is a great reel...for the price. I have three and have already burned one up fighting too many smallmouth. I use the Abu C series for my musky rod and have not had a problem in 4 seasons. I geuss what I am saying is I would spend $50 more and go with a better reel for those monsters you'll be pulling in this summer grin.gif

Isn't the EON more expensive than the C series. I have one EON and I really like it. Smooth and easy to control. I also like the C series. I have a C4 6500 for muskie fishing and I really like it. I had a Shirmano reel that I burned up in about ten outings fishing muskies. My C4 has been through thousands of casts with no signs of slowing down. I think the EON would be just as dependable. If I were you I would go to a store that has these on display and hold them in your hands and feel what fits best. My C4 is great for heavy lures for my preference. My EON just feels better for smaller baits. My prefernce. Good luck and have fun.

Price of EON v 6500 depends on which 6500. While you can find several solid 6500C models on sale for $65 to $70 in the bigger retail stores, some of the 6500s list for $125 and up, depending on which bells and whistles you've got.

While the EON is a strong and very sporty looking reel (sporty catches fishermen better than fish), the design is only a few seasons old, while the 6500 series (my lastest is a 6500UC that listed for $129) has withstood the test of time. I own four of them, and two 5500 series reels. The 6500s are great for muskies, big pike and big cats, the 5500s for standard pike/bass duty. My oldest Abu baitcaster is a 5500C, which is over 20 years old and keeps providing fantastic service. Only difference between modern 5500 and 6500 series is line capacity.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-03-2003).]

I have 2 EON 6600 reels rigged up with Berkley ReFlex rods. Worked them hard on big cats all summer, they held up extreamly well. Very smooth reels, light too.

The very first ION series had some bad level wind pins. Since then they have beefed them up to handle sumo Piggy's.

A Good reel, very good for repeated heavy casting situations like for muskie, cork'n cats, or heavy cranks for walleye.

ed-logo.jpg

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 02-03-2003).]

Backwater Eddy,
I must admit that I have not used the larger EON that I have yet. From the sounds of it I should give it a whirl if it stands up to the abuse as well as you say?