• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I found out that the launch and marina at Gill Rock is closed and may not open due to low water. That is sad it was a great place to go fish close to shore. The death's door bluff was one of my favorite places to salmon fish.

Starting to wonder if this is part of business trying to get a proposed marina in the area? I was reading how the area didn't want it and was trying to keep Gills Rock a peaceful community and now with no launch they'll have only one option... This would ruin the area... just look at it as another Sister Bay... not liking that option... kind of liking the quiet community...

Double check on this... I got first hand info that boat were launching there.. so I'm assuming that they are letting smaller boats launch..

Also... rumor-vill says..." The owner of the launch shut it down due to a land dispute... a sale that was rejected by the town.."...

Lots of stuff that could potentially change that whole area in the future if the sales go thru...

Those fish were from 2007, my first year fishing on Lake Michigan. I've been back every year since then, fishing 3-4 days.

The word I got from my friend on June 21 is that the landing is closed. Apparently the land owner is upset that the DNR won't buy out his land.

first time I fished it was 2006. the guy and (wife) I think where starting to get cranky even back then. I have a bit of time on that board myself and can only say that I loved the area but never like them or the landing. She would come over and scowl and say things like " I didn't see you put your five bucks in the box" when we always paid.

they never kept it up but then maybe I don't know the whole story. I hope it gets bought out by someone who can do a little something with it, I'd say its due for an upgrade. It looks like pre WWII

Funny that you mention the," I didn't see you pay the 5 bucks." quote Gutz, we got the same treatment on multiple occasions up there. Sure would be nice if the Wi, DNR would buy it but I am sure the asking price is skyhigh. I suppose you could always take the ferry across and dump in on Washington island. Some pretty decent fishing over that way.

Tunrevir~

Well... guess we'll be launching somewhere else... Too bad, we rent a cabin right across the road from the launch.. Now from what I understand there is another launch in Gills Rock, is this true? The pics I saw would give me the impression that you could only launch a smaller boat, which I have... Anyone got info on it? Does it exist?

As far as the main launch.. the one that is closed... From what I read, it was either the local government or the DNR that already had shot down a private sale of this area... Looked like someone was considering making a marina like the one in Sister Bay... and this is what started the cranky-ness of the owners... which now has lead to it's closing... as far as I have heard...

We done the Ellison Bay thing before and always end up by Door bluff and then near Gills Rock so we decided to start staying in Gills Rock... Guess that backfired... Back to Ellison Bay to launch... And kind of sounds like we may have to trailer our boats to the big lake side if we want fish... if they even show up over there... Sounds like it's been a terrible year...

Hoping for some of that 129 degrees weather to head north so the water warms some.... Got till July 13th for the action to start... crazy

On a more humorous note: I'm at the fish board at Gills and I look up and she is helping him clean fish and I have one nice 20lber left to clean and accidently LOL hit her with a good dose of the sprayer, I never lifted my head just kept cleaning and my buddies said that she shot me a look that would have frozen charlie Manson.

they started calling her the Madoosa, needless to say we had a little fun with it.

If anyone fishes the north part of Door Co. please chime in and let us know how things are going. As of now I read where 1-2 fish trips have just started out of Baileys with a few people getting more and then the size is said to be larger also... Crossing my fingers... heading up on July 12th... Staying in Gills Rock and launching options will be determined then...

Hope for some warm stable weather in the next couple weeks...

Just to set the record straight... I just got back from a week of fishing near Gills Rock and the people who own the launch... Some of the nicest people I've met.. Yes the launch was closed to larger boats but due to low waters and the liability of someone falling off of the dock when climbing down.. The docks were close to the same height above the water as last year and Jeff, one of the owners, mentioned they had to close it... Too much of a liability if someone fell...

So I had a talk with Jeff and since we had smaller 16.5' boats, and we didn't have to climb down into the boats... Jeff let us launch... Not sure if I should have mentioned that but he was more than accommodating and one of the friendliest people Ive met in the area.. He even offered us a ride on one of his netting boats, which was quite the experience to see the fisherman in action...

So just to set the record straight... it's the people who threaten to "sue" if their injured that ruined it for the launch...and he did mention that he will open it again to all boats when the water levels return to normal...