• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Foot Control Troubles

huskminn

Question

Rob (or anyone else):

I have a 1997 MinnKota bow mount motor with a foot control pedal. The sliding power adjustment (works like a rheostat) doesn't work at the lower power settings. The motor doesn't get power until the slide hits 8 or 9 out of the maximum setting of 10.

Any idea where I can get this repaired or if there is something I could do myself? Possible costs for replacement of the control?

Thanks.

Good luck..........

8 answers to this question

I would try a shot or two of WD40 in the control and then slide the control back and forth. Dirt build up could be the culprit. Or, call the "Motor Clinic" and see what they say. 881-0898 (Their old area code was 612. Don't know if it's the same)

it could be the contacts have a biuld up as the one guy said. but you may have to take it apart and clean them with a scotch brite pad or something. you can also try the minnkota HSOforum for dealers and repair listings

I had the same problem a few years ago. I brought mine to a minnkota service place and they cleaned it and it works great now. I couldn't tell you what it would cost cause mine was under warranty. Good Luck at worst I think a new foot control costs about 50 bucks.

It does sound like the contacts are dirty but I wouldnt spray any oil (WD-40) in there it can cause it to short out. If you need to use a spray cleaner use brake or contact cleaner. Or take it to a service center and let them clean it.

Rob

I believe "brake cleaner" could eat plastic, not sure. That's some pretty strong stuff. WD40 is for electrical contacts. Or, a place like Radio Shack does have "contact cleaner" used for switches.

WD40 should be ok or also Starting Fluid which contains Ether which is a powerful degreaser. No smoking when you spray it... grin.gif