• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gulp Leeches

I'm going into a remote fishing situation, and trying to cut out the live bait. I'm wondering if anyone has been successful with gulp leeches, and what type of presentation is effective. I'd like to put them on a jig, but I feel I may need a stinger in that case. Let me know your thoughts.

You shouldn't need a stinger as that will take away from the action you are trying to impart on the gulp. You will get a more natural presentation without a stinger and probably a lot less hangups as well.

Tunrevir~

Don't be afraid of plastics on a jighead for remote walleyes. I usually use grubs (including gulp) instead of leeches with success. Walleyes are caught all the time without live bait.

I never use a stinger.

I have used the Gulp Alive Leeches jigging, rigging and slip bobber fishing. They work as well as live leches in most cases, the trick is to keep them moving. With a slip bobber, the only time I have had trouble getting bites is when the lake is dead calm. Either the fish get too good of look at it or it just dosen't appear to be right for some reason.

Like the others have said, I wouldn't use a stinger with the leeches, it will take away from the action of the bait.

Thanks for the advice. I just figured it might be difficult to impart the right action on those baits since leeches have such a unique undulation. I have used live leeches for lindy rigging for years, and I usually give a pretty liberal amount of line off before setting the hook, so I figured with a 5" plastic leech attached to a jig head, I might have some issues with fish changing their mind before I could get a hook set.