• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OVS and a Black Bar?!?

mtreno

Question

Hello everyone.

Well here is the issue. I have an OVS camera that whenever I turn it on it displays the image with a BIG black bar going across the screen from the the left side to the right side. It does not cover the whole image about an inch on the top and the bottom is still viewable howerver this really stops the ability to use the camera. Have talked to the place were I bought the camera and they gave me a new Camera no questions asked. Now this new one is doing it?!? GURRR However I have noticed if I just leave the camera on for about 5-10 min this will go away. and does not come back until the next weekend. I store the camera inside at all times and the bat. is fully charged. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I have talked to a couple people in the store and on the ice and no one else has had this problem so I thought maybe a post on here would be a good idea. At least maybe someone can give some feedback on what they think.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Tight lines all.

Charles

18 answers to this question

Umm I have not tried turning it on inside the house yet. I am thinking it is from getting cold but I wanna see if anyone else is having issues. This will Normaly happen after sitting for a while. When I brought it into thorne bros. they just took the old and gave me the new one out of the box! < what great people there! I did not keep one peice. ( I wish I would have grabed the clip though) THanks for the fast post!

Charles.

A tip for those clips for the ovs cameras that I hear about was to drill a small hole in the clip and use a zip tie to secure it to the cable loosely so it can move but if you drop it it will just slide down the cable to your camera. I know that the Scheels stores sell the clips that your talking about I am guessing but Gander Mountain also would probably have them. Good Luck

Chuck, maybe its just a big pike? I've heard of those before. Just kiddin. Try e-mailing the OVS HSOforum and see what you get.

Let me know if you're heading back up to Mille Lacs this weekend.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Hello everyone.

Well here is the issue. I have an OVS camera that whenever I turn it on it displays the image with a BIG black bar going across the screen from the the left side to the right side. It does not cover the whole image about an inch on the top and the bottom is still viewable howerver this really stops the ability to use the camera. Have talked to the place were I bought the camera and they gave me a new Camera no questions asked. Now this new one is doing it?!? GURRR However I have noticed if I just leave the camera on for about 5-10 min this will go away. and does not come back until the next weekend. I store the camera inside at all times and the bat. is fully charged. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I have talked to a couple people in the store and on the ice and no one else has had this problem so I thought maybe a post on here would be a good idea. At least maybe someone can give some feedback on what they think.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Tight lines all.

Charles

opps forgot to add if anyone knows where to get the clips that go on the cable,that sits on the turn table that would be great cause MJ5 decided he wanted to see how long it take for a clip to sink 14 feet in mille lacs! For those who are wondering about 16 seconds. smile.gif

Charles

invadersmn,
Funny thing, I just posted on the MC-3 thread looking for info on a direct contact at Marcum for service/design. I am having a problem with mine also. But I only get a 1" band in the middle that is OK, the top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 is grey. This is the 4th unit to go bad for me in 16 months. I believe that they have just replaced the camera/cord in the past (not sure) and I am wondering if the problem is in the monitor instead. I am a bit peeved as it took the sports shop manager 2 weeks to get an OK to send it back from Marcum, and they never did let him talk directly to service dept. He waited for a call back from service for over a week, left 5 messages with them over that time, and finally demanded a return code from the phone answerer at cust. service. Very frustrating.
I was really hoping to have it for the FM lake trout get together this weekend in Ely, but no way. If you have any other way to contact Marcum other than email and a 763-271-1988 CS number, please let me know.
Xplorer

Xplorer - Where did you get your Camera? I got mine at thorne Bros. and they have been a DREAM to work with. I walked in there with a problem of it not shutting off. They gave me a new Bat. (FREE), and send me home to see if that fixed it. 24 hours later The same problem happened and I could not get the unit to turn off. Brought it back again and they just gave me a new one out of the box! WOW I could not beleave that it was that easy. Now this one works like a dream except for this problem. I will look around to see if I can get a contact number for you and post it here though.

MJ5- Yeah I plan on going up to the pond this weekend right after going to gander to pick up a new clip! wink.gif Really wanna get into some big pearch or some eyes this weekend.

Charles

invadersmn,
I bought mine at Northwest Outlet in Superior, WI (im from duluth) and they have been great to work with. They have returned the unit 3 times already, and he is as frustrated with them as I right now. He said he would have just given me a new one but he stopped carrying this line last summer/fall and doesnt have any new ones left.
Thanks for any contact info you might find. I sent an email this morning and will follow up with a call today. Xplorer

I have contacted Marcum at 763-271-1988 and have explained to them what is going on. Call that number and ask for Carol. Please state that I sent you there. My name is Charles Speckman. I live in Blaine, MN 55434 they may ask for that information. I have explained the fustration that we are both going though and stated that in a short fishing season that having a $500 camera that does not work is very fustrating! She was very understanding and I think she will be able to help you out. Good luck and let me know what ends up happening.

Charles

Charles,
I emailed Markum thru their HSOforum yesterday morning, and got a response from them in the afternoon. I was assured that they would handle my situation accordingly. I responded to them this morning and will keep you updated. I think the store manager that I bought the unit from has spoken to Carol about my unit.
Xplorer/Chris

I am perplexed by the line issue. I still can't figure out what that was. I have an OVS 500 and when I got it the battery was very low and it had the line across the middle, but once charged it was gone. That is a great camera. Glad to hear of the good customer service.

Scott,
My issues were a bit different than invadersmn's. Duane at Markum asked me for as detailed a description as possible for what had happened etc. I gave him the history (this is the 4th ovs that the shop has returned for me) of each failure, all of which were screen resolution/picture related (greyed out screen like looking thru a smoky haze or only partial picture).
I asked Duane to see if he could find out what was wrong and he agreed to contact the service manager to see what they diagnosed. Duane has provided excellent feedback/help and I will let Markum know this when all is finished. I know most of us bit## when things are not to our liking, but i dont think enough of us give the "pat-on-the-back" when someone goes to bat for us.
I really hope the unit was replaced completely, uncluding the charger. All this talk about low power has me wondering if there may have been a defective charger that contributed to the problems. The cord/camera was all that was replaced prior to this I think.
Xplorer

invadersmn,
I sent/received several contacts with Markum last week. Then received a call from the sports shop here that they received a unit back from Markum for me on Saturday. I will pick it up tomorrow when the store manager is in. I am trying to find out if the entire unit was replaced or just a part of it, and if only a part, what part.
As far as speed, once it got to Markum (I would guess last Wed since it was shipped monday) they must have shipped it back the next day (thursday) for it to get from Brainerd to Superior. I'd say that was good customer service turnaround.
Have you gotten your issue worked out?

Xplorer/Chris