• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Work boots

MaxGoldman

Question

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I'll be in need of a new pair of work boots soon and am wondering what some stores in the metro have a nice selection or if there are any specialty stores for this? I've had red wings and wolverines before, love the red wings, the wolverines weren't quite cuttin' it for comfort. I'm interested to try some pull ons out this year, if I don't like them probably an 8". If anyone has any suggestions of specific pairs feel free too, lookin' for quality and comfort cool.

21 answers to this question

Yeah I know of at least one red wing store up here too and I've seen everything red wing has, they're all great boots to me and they're not out of the question I'd just like to try on some other brands for comparison, and actually the new irish setter work boots I think are awesome, my dad and brother have a pair and as far as comfortable they'll be tough to beat! I've seen a pair of rocky's I really like the looks of but don't know where I could find them to try on?

I use to wear Redwings all the time. But i found standing on the ashpalt in Arizona was tearing my feet a part. I went with a Keen utility boot, composite toe if you need it and two pair of socks. One is a thin wicking pair the second is a redhead full meleno wool sock. I wear them year round. Add in a green feet green insole and a nice gel heel cup and you will want to sleep with them on.

Some think it is only the boot, but the sock you match with it will make your day so nice.

Good luck

first 100 degree day 4/28/13 104 today

Danner pronghorns about 190 bucks but there worth it. Super light and durable. No break in period with them either. I'm on my 4th pair in about six years but I wear them for work and everything else. My only negative is there made in china (ugh) some of danners top end boots are American made.

I've been a RedWing guy forever, until now. A couple months ago I got a pair of Keen steel two work boots. Typical Keen comfort and they are wearing like iron. They cost less than my RedWings also. I got them from Schooler shoes.

I've always bought Red Wings. I use the RW store in Hopkins on Excelsior Blvd. I bought one pair from Nokomis Shoes a while back and when I had an issue with the boots they refused to help. RW in Hopkins has been awesome. I've had new soles put on more than once due to wear and they have always been helpful.

I purchased my first pair of Danner Pronghorns this winter by a matter of circumstance. I forgot my pair of RW insulated king toes at home so a quick stop at a sporting goods store at I dropped $180 for the Danners. There are excellent boots. I'm not sure if they would hold up to my work use, but they have been pretty sturdy and comfortable.

What type of work do you do?

With this information the best matched boot can be suggested.

Are you looking for comfort or durability.

A wedge sole is more comfortable but a boot with a heel is better if climbing.

A work boot is like a tool in your tool box.

To get the best longevity out of boots buy two pair and alternate every other day. Let the boot boot dry out. With this method two boots will last longer than three boots.

When I am not guiding or trapping I am in the woods, working on the farm, welding, running heavy equipment, crawling around on concrete or wading through the water. I would shred boots in a few months until I made the switch to Danner, more money but I have been wearing my Rain Forest Danners for two years now. They look like heck now but it sure beat $150 every few months. That and I wear them Turkey hunting and all of bear season as they are very comfy for a work boot.

Thanks for all the replies, I checked out a few stores yesterday and found hardly any boots at all. I kinda had my sights set on ariats after some web searchin so I called rcc at the mall of america and they said they had a big selection so I checked it out and found what I was looking for, first impression they are extremely comfortable and fit me perfectly.

I was a Red Wing guy for ever but like you my feet were killing me. I bought Carlonia brand and it fixed the pain. Also they are made in the U.S.A. Not all red wing are made here only the bigger sizes are.

Keen makes a great shoe and boot, but the break-in time is substantial. Keen is all I wear for sandals, causal, outdoor, etc., because they will eventually get comfortable and protect the foot from lots of harm, but be aware they do require break-in time.

Like my "work ones". USA, union made. I bought the the best pair they had and I believe they are around $250.00 or so. I am on my feet constantly moving on concrete 10-11 hours a day. Didnt feel the best at first but after about a month I wouldnt buy anything else. I think the insert could be a little more cushioned but they are cheap to replace. Other than that they are very comfortable and hold up well. I suggest if you can at least trying a pair on and seeing what you think. I tried on wolverines, danners, redwings, and carolina boot before i bought them.

When I am not guiding or trapping I am in the woods, working on the farm, welding, running heavy equipment, crawling around on concrete or wading through the water. I would shred boots in a few months until I made the switch to Danner, more money but I have been wearing my Rain Forest Danners for two years now. They look like heck now but it sure beat $150 every few months. That and I wear them Turkey hunting and all of bear season as they are very comfy for a work boot.

+1, I have a couple pair of danners and love both of them. I really like my all leather pronghorns.

I find the Sears Diehards Shuretrack are tough to beat. As a bricklayer I beat the snot out of any boot I wear. A wedge sole that holds it's shape and wears better than any sole I have found, leather that lasts and lasts and a very comfortable insole and arch support. Comfortable on concrete, scaffold or trudging through mud. I stopped wearing/ buying Redwings 15+ years ago because of a sore back and short sole life! Oh! did I forget to say that the are almost always on sale for about 69 bucks and twice a year 1/2 price $45 for the 6" boot and if you don't like them after a few weeks, bring them back for a full refund.

Irish Setters lasted 6 months, Sears 12 months. way less cost, better wear and comfort

So i have suffered through my first week or so of +100 degree days on the asphalt. I wear the Keens Pittsburg Utility. I wore the stitches out of my Georgia's, RW, and Florshime. I am on pair 4 of the Keens, company buys new ones each august. With a good insole, i use Super feet green and a gel heal pad with wool socks year round, my feet don't bark near as bad as they did with other brands.

I am with many that i try all and then will find one that fits, but when it came to the Keens, i was looking at a diabetic HSOforum and the reviews were so favorable for this brand. I have found that i have little break in with them. The other thing that i noticed as i get older is the lace to the toe feature. While the keens are not completely to the toe, they go further than the RW. I read reviews, do search for best work boot and socks. We all complain our feet hurt and our boots are the cause. I use to be the same one, but after changing and following some simple steps, you feet will hug you every night.