• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Even less Deer Licenses this year...

BISMARCK — The number of deer gun hunting licenses that will be made available in North Dakota this year likely will be the lowest in three decades, due largely to the tough, lingering winter that has been hard on the animals.

The state Game and Fish Department is proposing 59,500 licenses, a drop of 5,800, or 9 percent, from last year and the lowest number since 1982, Wildlife Chief Randy Kreil said during recent public meetings around the state to talk with the public about wildlife issues. The majority of the reductions will come in the northern and eastern parts of the state, according to The Bismarck Tribune and the Grand Forks Herald.

"We're still getting reports of deer dying," Kreil said. "Winter aerial surveys showed we need to reduce license numbers."

Hunters will not be able to get more than one license for the deer gun season, and some might not be able to take to the field at all.

"More than 25,000 hunters didn't get doe licenses last year. This year, it will be 35,000," Kreil said.

The state's deer population is still trying to rebound from three straight harsh winters beginning in 2008. Deer licenses peaked that year at just under 150,000. Last year, the 65,300 licenses made available represented a 40 percent drop from the previous year.

Despite the statewide reductions this year, the department is proposing small increases for whitetail tags in a handful of southwest North Dakota units where deer populations remain above management goals. However, Game and Fish is proposing no mule deer doe tags anywhere in the state for a second straight year and only 1,150 mule deer buck tags, a reduction of 50 from last year.

Game and Fish will submit its proposal to the governor for his approval this week.

North Dakota's two-week deer gun hunting season is held every November.

Eesh, that stinks. I thought we were in pretty good shape about a month ago, but then I also thought Winter was about over at that point. Instead, it seemed like it got a second wind and really reminded us who was boss for most of the month of April.

If there's no habitat, what can we expect? Farm fields might feed deer some of the year, but when everything is cut and plowed, it's like setting a roast out on a cookie sheet: easy pickings.

Same goes for pheasants, ducks, grouse, etc...

Unless we can convince farmers and landowners to take a bit of land out of production, we're screwed. Plain and simple.

Yes the winter did get extended.

After we got done deer hunting last fall, we all thought the deer herd was up fair from the year before.

The Twist of Fate handicapped hunt we hold not far from where we hunt had it's first year with a 100% kill for the hunters.

I thought they would keep the licenses at last years level and maybe a very small increase in 2G1.

Guess the last month must have been alot harder than anyone realized. I know the fellow who owns the ranch I hunt said he has been seeing alot of deer in the past month.

With all that said, we do have excellent deer cover and habitat in our direct area. Lot's of hay fields and good winter habitat.

I have visons of this fall being a stellar year for archery hunting and still believe so. One simply cannot get too picky looking for a 12 point buck or better.

A little more info from the GNF on licensing issues:

Fewer deer licenses available again this year

April 29, 2013 3:00 am • By Brian Gehring

BRIAN GEHRING/Tribune

The proclamation for the 2013 deer gun season is slated to be delivered to the governor Wednesday. The recommendation is for 5,800 fewer licenses offered compared to last year and no season on mule deer does for a second consecutive season.

Enlarge Photo

The projected number of deer gun licenses available for this coming fall season could be 5,800 fewer than last season, making it the least number available since 1982.

Randy Kreil, wildlife chief for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department, said his staff were expected to finish up population surveys over the weekend with arial surveys in the western part of the state for mule deer.

He said while the numbers could change, the proposed number of licenses for the regular gun season are 59,500 compared to 65,300 a year ago.

No mule deer doe tags will be issued this fall for the second consecutive season because of low numbers in the state’s six western mule deer units.

Kreil said the mule deer survey in most years would have been completed two or more weeks ago, but the last snowstorm pushed things behind schedule.

He said the department will submit the proclamation to the governor for his signature Wednesday.

As far as mule deer buck tags, 50 fewer tags will be available in unit 3B1 which covers the Williston and Watford City areas.

For white-tailed deer, there will be 2,350 fewer buck licenses and 4,050 fewer doe licenses available across the state.

Kreil said the majority of the reductions will come from the northern and eastern parts of the state.

“The entire northern half and the eastern half of the state had real winter,” he said. The state’s deer population is still rebounding from three consecutive brutal winters in 2009-11.

Prior to those winters, about 150,000 deer licenses were available in the state at the peak of the population.

In the Red River management unit, 2,700 fewer white-tail licenses will be issued and 1,400 fewer in the Sheyenne management unit which covers Eddy County south to the state line.

Other hunting units that will see reductions include: 2K2 (700), 2E (400), 3A2 (500) and 400 fewer in the Devils Lake unit with represents a 40 percent reduction from last year.

Kreil said there are a few other changes deer hunters should be aware of this season.

For the first time, all archery tags will have to be purchased online. He said by 2016, the department will implement a system where all hunting and fishing licenses will have to be purchased electronically.

Another change deals with regulations regarding gratis licenses.

The minimum acreage to qualify for a gratis license changed during the legislative session and is now at 150 acres.

Trust holders on land now will be able to apply for a gratis license, something that also was changed during the session.

Kreil said letters will be sent out to gratis tag holders explaining the changes.

He said those applying for gratis licenses should apply by the regular June 5 deadline or risk not getting one.

“We can’t say that enough,” Kreil said.

Talked with our mailman in North Dakota who delivers mail to the ranch.

He said every day he drives the 1.5 miles to our mailbox and back to the main road, he sees 15-25 deer every day.

He also said every week he sees a new deer kill from coyotes and the bald eagles are cleaning up the remains.

I would guess with all the snow, the yotes had an easy time chasing the weak ones down. Too many darned yotes around.

So, it sounds like we still have a good supply of deer as he is seeing alot in that area on his mail route every day.

No need to ever get to the point where we were as far as the size of the deer herd some 8-12 years ago. Way to many deer and not enough food for the deer in a hard winter. Also way less crop damage. Not much for car deer kils by us as we have next to zero traffic.

What have you been seeing Scoot when you have been down turkey hunting? Greg did say he saw one larger der behind the machine shed and on the side of tyhe deer, it had Scoot for a name on it. Must be the thirdy pointer you keep missing. wink

I'm with Tyler from my driving around snow goose hunting, from fargo to valley down to oakes over to Ellendale, where there was crp or a treeline there were a fair amount of deer/birds but there wasn't a fair amount of cover. I'm almost surprised anything survives winter out there in a way, especially SE ND. Back in my fall hunting days near Rugby/Drake area saw a ton of deer and also a ton of cover, I wonder what that area looks like today, anyway and either way, good luck when the time comes.

I shot my biggest buck up on the " northfeild " , on the southside where the field has a little indent , between the skinny point and bigger woods along the river. If I was turkey hunting , I would go past the farm a half mile to the east , and to the south where the little old house is , and try there.

P.S It was a 18 pointer with bow.

No kidding, BFT? Tom has told me about that general area and it seems like it's a great place to be. I've sat back there a few times and generally struggled back there. However, I'm not sure I always sit it in the best spots.

I haven't been as far East as you're talking about for turkeys- maybe I'll poke over there and check it out. Thanks!

I shot my biggest buck up on the " northfeild " , on the southside where the field has a little indent , between the skinny point and bigger woods along the river. If I was turkey hunting , I would go past the farm a half mile to the east , and to the south where the little old house is , and try there.

P.S It was a 18 pointer with bow.

What year did you shoot this 18 pointer? I know of one 18 pointer but that was shot to the west approx 1/2 mile from the northfiled and years ago.

It was shot in the late 80s , Day before gun opened. The night before , I saw it cross the road just east of the house where the road comes close to the river , the next morning found me in the feild just across the river , and around 8:30 it came out of that long skinny point , the rest is history. Hey Scoot , another place to find turkeys is west of the house , go through the gate and go as far as you can till your by that little field before state land , and try there. Just curious , is that gate just west of the house closed to getting back into the state land , that always tee'd people off !! lol !!! Oh how I loved it down there , but have'nt seen it for 20 yrs , I heard the road is closed now ? Scoot , do you know a guy named Rick that used to do Mason work , now he drives truck out western N.D ? he lives over by where the 4 H used to be ?

BFT, yes that road is closed. It may tee people off, but it's private land and is not public. It's close to the public land, so I imagine people think it's a short cut to get to the public, but it isn't.

No, I don't know Rick. However, harvey lee might- he's been going there for a long time and I think he knows a lot of people in the area.

BFT, an 18 pointer- wow! I'm pretty sure I'd fill my pants if I saw one like that and he'd smell me before I ever got a shot. blush

Going west of the house is all private property except for a mile plus back there and that is all Federal land. Sheyenne National grasslands past the private property. You have the CP Ranch land, Roth's land and then at the SW corner is the start of the Sheyenne National Grasslands.

Going to the east of the house, that road has been closed for close to 14 years due to the river taking out many spots in the road from the spring flooding.

If I follow your directions, were you hunting on the CP Ranch or the Runk Ranch to the east along the road wher it is close to the river and on the other side of the river?

Do you know the landowners in that area where you were hunting?

When you talk about the gate to the road to the west that tee'd people off, you must be talking about the road to the east along the river that goes to the 4H camp on the other end before you hit #23.

There were probably just as many deer poached off that road as there were deer shot legally.

I am kind of curious who you are as my Father lived there and I have hunted that area for close to 30 years and if you hunted on the CP Ranch, I should know you.

As far as the turkey goes, the majority of the turkey's are now just east of the house but not past the smaller spring fed creek through the woods before you get to the gate that goes on the road to the south to the old house site.

Or to the west about a 1/4 mile and then to the north a few hundred yards. The north field has a few turkey but no many as the bird population is down quite a bit from years ago when you could see 200 on the road by the house in the am out the kitchen window.

I had permission from C.P when he was in California , and had Riestads , the Runks , and Gordon Soljems , there was Guy Leidahls also. Never had premission from Roths or Kings. The road i was talking about was just east of the house , on the north end of the trees you see from the yard.

My Brother was the primary person to get permision from C.P , and it was for bow , not gun. I remember someone else had that. But during gun , we had the ok to go through the gate to the west of the house , and go that 100 yds to the federal land. We did alot of beaver trapping and hunting in the spring , and raccon trapping in the fall.I remember all the beaver we took off that pond north of the "northfeild" on Riestads.(sp) We got to know alot of the ranchers down there cause we helped them on the cattle drive every fall , moving them from the federal land back to the Runk ranch for sorting. Oh how I envy you guys hunting there , some of my fond memories are from that time period, now there just a thought from time to time. Maybe sometime , I'll take my boy down there and go through some of the land I can still get on , and show him where my hot stands were , and the campsites we had back on the federal land , where we shot of 100s of rounds of 22s , killing time during the day. Right now I do my hunting in Minnesota , where theres more hunters per square mile than opening day back of C.P s on the federal land lol ! Thanks for those memories Harvey and Scoot

BFT, the deer hunting is not what is was years ago as the herd is way down. 3 very hard winters and a very cold, wet spring and it slashed the deer herd hard.

Since, the last 2 winters have not been too bad and the herd is coming back.

Yes, back from the middle 80's to probably 2004, there was some awesone deer hunting in that area along the Grassland's. Some aweful big bucks also.

I have bow hunted every season since 1985 and every gun season I could get a tag for a buck or flattop.

JUst trying to remember you coming there and hunting but I guess my memory is not as sharp as it once was.

I kinda remember some rules for C.P , like one year we couldnt hunt north of the river with bow , we never gun hunted cause of other hunters did. I remember one year , the main bridge north of the house , a big size deer must of got pushed over the bridge , cause some one found it laying over the side of the bridge next to the river , with the head being cut off. We didnt get to hunt C.Ps for a long time , maybe 2 or 3 yrs. We hunted another local ranch more. Just remembered one of the years we hunted C.Ps, was when someone was raising springers , cause we were helping fix the fence for him one weekend. concider yourselves lucky , having such a fine place , not just to hunt , but to hang out. C.P must have retired from the Ins. buisness and moved back ? Its funny how we always think we were the first to walk this path , but in a differnt time , someone else did , and thought the same thing , how cool is that.

Carter is still selling insurance. Both Carter and Ada spens a little time up at the ranch in the summers.

I spend alot of time with Carter and Ada as they have become like family to our family. My grandkids even spend time up there with them during the summer for a week now and then.