• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 cyl Ford engines

Middle kid was looking at an Edge or Escape or some odd named rig and the guy said that they all have 4 cyl engines. I questioned how long those would last and he said that they had done a 2 million mile check. Well that seems absurd to me so it had no positive impact with me. When he talks about a 2.0 with ecoboost is means little to me. I obviously out of touch with today's automobile reality but I don't have a lot of faith in the longevity of a four banger. One kid has a 6 cyl Nissan with 250K and the other has a Pontiac that had 135K and I don't think either would have made it with a 4.

What sort of thoughts do you guys have?

We had a 85 tempo, remember those? Anyway, it had some annoying problems and when it left my wife by the side of the road the third time it had to go. I sold it to a guy at work who commuted from rose creek to rochester. Last time I talked to him about it it was near 200k miles and still going.

Toyota corollas have 4 cyl, as did many hondas and they were well known for long life.

the 2.0L ecoboost (turbocharged) is to replace the N/A V6. (its a 4 cylinder with the power of a 6) So just because its a 4 does not mean it will get as good fuel economy as a N/A 4 Cylinder, especially when the foot gets heavy and the smile gets wider.

I would believe he was looking at he escape, as Edge has a V6 option.

With proper maintenance there should be no problem with this engine making it over 100K.

The modern generation of Escape's has only 4 cylinder options for the engine. Ford has been moving toward implementing turbocharged engines in a lot of models to replace or supplement bigger engines in response to customers being more sensitive to gas prices. The Escape is built on the Ford C1 platform, which is also used for the Focus and C-Max hybrid; it is relatively small, the 4 cylinder should be sufficient (make sure she drives it and is happy with the noise, power, etc,) and the displacement of the engine won't be what determines the vehicles longevity.