• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stinger Hooks on Plastics

Do you guys use stinger hooks on 3 to 5 inch plastics? In some cases, most, all, etc?

Trying to force myself to get into plastics this year for walleye. It's extremely difficult for me to get the mind set going after 30 years of solely live bait. Main worry is fish will let go quicker. No confidence especially in a short bite situation.

Thanks,

I wouldn't mess around with it to tell you the truth and have never felt that I needed such a thing unless you're talking some huge plastics for large Esox or saltwater fishing. I probably fish 95% plastics to 5% live bait. If they are biting 'short' I just use a shorter plastic or bite an inch off the top before rigging it. Don't worry about it- just get em in the water. On cold days your hands will NOT miss digging in a minnow bucket. You'll be amazed how hard they get hit and how deep they'll take those things in compared to bait some days.

I've only ever caught 1 walleye on live bait.. and that was in an ice fishing scenario.

Don't worry, just go fishing. If you know where the walleye are and have had success in the past, you should have success with soft plastics.

I wouldn't mess around with it to tell you the truth and have never felt that I needed such a thing unless you're talking some huge plastics for large Esox or saltwater fishing. I probably fish 95% plastics to 5% live bait. If they are biting 'short' I just use a shorter plastic or bite an inch off the top before rigging it. Don't worry about it- just get em in the water. On cold days your hands will NOT miss digging in a minnow bucket. You'll be amazed how hard they get hit and how deep they'll take those things in compared to bait some days.

x2 all the way. Biting short, make presentation shorter.

Almost never use a stinger on plastics. The only time I can remember doing it was in a tournament, we were using 6 inch jerk shads and had a lot of smaller fish (12 inchers) on our spots ..... along with some bigger fish ...... and we added short stingers to up our odds. Just hate missing fish in a tournament, they all feel good when you don't get the hooks in them laugh

With plastics, stingers are rarely necessary, and usually just get in the way, pick up junk off the bottom, etc. Far more trouble than they're worth.

If you're getting into fishing plastics you kind of have to un-learn some live bait fisherman habits. Plastics like Power Minnows, Gulp minnows, etc., only have the action you give them. Finesse them like a jig and live minnow, and you're pulling in a stick. You have to get comfortable fishing more aggressively, and keep in your head you're trying to trigger a response, not entice one.

Do that, and short hits are rarely a problem. Alagnak is right on. They eat the whole thing, even with 5" or 6" plastics. Plus, they do seem to head hunt as well, so if you get bit, they bite the business end. A lot of the time, you have to stick your finger down their throat to unhook them.

I know this is off-topic, but I'm new to fishing--if not for use on a plastic set-up, under what circumstances would you want to use a stinger hook when fishing for walleye (or any other fish)?

Thanks

I know this is off-topic, but I'm new to fishing--if not for use on a plastic set-up, under what circumstances would you want to use a stinger hook when fishing for walleye (or any other fish)?

Thanks

I've used them when fishing live bait rigs like a lindy rig with a minnow for walleye. Usually if I'm missing bites or they are taking the tail end off of my bait.