• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Talkeetna the third week of June

Hey folks,

Can anyone give me any insight on Red fishing around Talkeetna in the third week of June? We are looking at using a drop off service and fishing on our own. Some of the information I can glean from various sites, tells me that reds are present around this time. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks folks!

When I was up there that time meant the Russian River but I know there are some other early Red runs, just don't know where outside of the Copper River near Cordova and some in Bristol Bay.

Thanks for the advice folks! Even if we just get into trout that would be great.

Has anyone fished the early Russian River red run (RRrr for short)??

naw, nobody much fishes that run. Shuld have the place pretty much to yourself.

just had to see if I could type that with a straight face!!

um, yeah, it gets pounded pretty hard, and the last couple years the runs been down, and a little latter than the historical avg. What do you want to know about it?

I figured it would be a nice experience full of pristine solitude! Anyway, I would like a little gear insight. What rod/reel is good for the show? Will my 8 wt be enough to handle them or is a heavier spinning rod preferable for fighting fish in a crowd? As for line is this a 20# test sort of deal, so you can really put the boots to them once they're hooked?

i use a 9 wt for red on the kenai. 8 will be fine its a battle no matter what you got. if you tail hook one might as well cut your line lol. be carefull and watch out for your furry friends that are always lurkin

Up in the Russian itself I like my 8 wt., but in the combat zone below the confluence, or fishing reds anywhere in the kenai, i usually go with a spinner or baitcaster with 20 lb. minimum. That Kenai current really cooks and i like to put the shoes to 'em:)

All great info! I really appreciate it.

Another question, bear protection? I'm guessing it's a good idea? I was thinking I was going to bring my 12 gauge with slugs/buckshot.....next trip I will just bring a friend I know I'm faster than so when the bear looks hungry I don't have to beat the bear, just my buddy.

Does anyone have favorite lures/flies for rainbows and grayling they could share as well?

Thanks again folks!

bears...always the million dollar question. I've been reading AK stuff (forums, stories, etc...) for a long time, and there are lots of opinions out there. It boils down to you, your own personal comfort level, expertise, etc...

I did buy a 454 Casull myself. My reasoning being that I'm seldom, if ever , going to be out there solo, and even though I might not be able to drop a bear with one perfectly executed shot if it's in full charge mode (at me!) I reason that if it's chewing on one of my buddies I ought to be able so slide one in it's ear hole while it's having lunch. So to speak. Right or wrong, thats my choice.

One of my buddies always has bear spray at the ready...his choice.

Avoidence is ALWAYS going to be the best bet. Look, listen, do everything you can to never NEED protection. I certainly hope to never have to fire that cannon, except at paper targets.

Thanks for the advice Traveler. I agree, I wouldn't ever want to fire that cannon! The shotgun will be packed and loaded for the trip. Bear spray might be a good backup plan as well.

Alright another question, I've been reading that salmon smolt patterns are good fly patterns for June trout/dollies. Can anyone suggest any other patterns or hardware that they've had luck with?

i use alot of leeches and llamas if its late june even try bead fishing for them buy a few packs of peach colored beads and see if you can find some salmon eggs floatin in the river and use the closest color you got to match it. also can free float a bead on your line above your fly