• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Braided Line

A bit new to the Musky world but have been fishing for many years.

Just purchased a new rod and reel and was looking for some suggestions as to what line to put on it.

I would guess that I would want to be in the 80# test range and having something that is knot friendly would be great as the fingers and eyes arn't what they use to be.

Thanks

Hey lots of guys use 80# but I've been using 100# for the last 5 years, more room for error when it starts to break down, lasts longer, less baits thrown off into the deep, and the extra thickness will probably help you with knot tying. Sorry for the unsolictied advice.

Suffix 832 and masterbraid are probably the driest lines out there, i'm still a big fan of power pro and it's probably a little cheaper but more wet. Everyone has a different opinion but I'd probably spool up with 100# Suffix 832 personally.

Hey lots of guys use 80# but I've been using 100# for the last 5 years, more room for error when it starts to break down, lasts longer, less baits thrown off into the deep, and the extra thickness will probably help you with knot tying. Sorry for the unsolictied advice.

I switched to 832 last year as well. I like the dryness. I think it is less buoyant than others so the line behaves better in the water. The other upside for 100 lb test is it seems to backlash less and less severely. If you have a slick reel that doesn't backlash 80 is probably fine.

What is the reel you will be putting this line on? If it's a 300 series low profile I'd say go with 80# - if your putting it on a round reel (calcutta 400+ or saltist 20+) I would say 100# would be a good choice.

Seems like there is a pretty good shift to Suffix 832 going, my self included, it's a dryer line and I like that especially in the fall.

First thanks for the advise!

I purchased a Revo Toro Winch, I have smaller hands and needed the reduced profile so I can cast all day. I put it on a St Croix Long Ranger.

I believe you can get close to 200 yards of 80# Power Pro on the reel.

First thanks for the advise!

I purchased a Revo Toro Winch, I have smaller hands and needed the reduced profile so I can cast all day. I put it on a St Croix Long Ranger.

I believe you can get close to 200 yards of 80# Power Pro on the reel.

You'll like that set up. I just put 80# 832 on my new Calcutta 400D last night.

Is this cold ever going to end? It's still almost 20 degrees below the normal high for this time of year!!!

you might want to put 100 yards of backing and 100 yards of braided line on there. line is expensive and will slip on the spool if you don't use a mono backing. if you have some 10 or 12 pound mono laying around that's what I usually use. some places like thorne bros and I think joes will wind it for you and that'll save you a few bucks too.

Tuf-Line. Haven't lost a fish to it yet and haven't had a knot break sending the lure to the bottom. Power pro cost me a fish and 2 lures the 1 year I used it. I've had tuf-line on now ever since at the 80 pound level. 23 years ago is was 36 pound cortland dacron.