• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If the robins are here the wood ticks can't be far behind!!!

BLACKJACK

Deer tick also....does anyone know the scoop on them as far as why they are taking over? Where did they come from? About 15 years ago rarely saw one, and now am picking at least 50 a year off the dogs and myself. 3 of the last 5 dogs got lymes and suppose I will end up with it too sooner or later......great.

Anyone have a way to deal with ticks on dogs, without going the Frontline route? Hears too many stories about seizures, etc., caused by that stuff.

I bought a flea brush, because I am trying to go without Fronline as well. Had the dog out last week and picked up a bunch of ticks on both myself and the dog. I gave him a good brushing when we got home and I believe I got all but 1 off him. Found that one yesterday filled up. I heard apple cider vinegar works as a repellant on the dog, but I have yet to try that one.

Anyone have a way to deal with ticks on dogs, without going the Frontline route? Hears too many stories about seizures, etc., caused by that stuff.

Not a big fan of the Frontline myself, my younger dog hates it, but the alternative is ticks always attached to your dog, its practically impossible to find them all before they bite and engorge themselves. Found two ticks engorged on my younger dog this year, she must have sensitive skin, both sites have become mildly infected. So I go for the lesser of two evils and apply the Frontline.

Went for a walk last night thru the woods and brush, found three ticks on my yellow lab, they're easy to see on her becasue shes almost white, but couldn't find any on the black lab - but I'm assuming she had some because its tough to see black ticks on a black dog.

They got their first treatment of Frontline before I went to bed....

Not a good sign that I picked 5 ticks off my two dogs this morning. They haven't been anywhere but a well manicured lawn. I've only picked a couple in the previous 3 years here from the yard.

I use a product called Cedarcide. It's a cedar oil based product that is toxic to ticks and other creepy crawlies but not to dogs or humans. If I remember correctly it can harm cats though. I've used it on both my dogs and picked fewer ticks than when using Frontline, which I quit using because of tremors in my lab. With the Cedarcide I've actually found dead ticks on the floor, dead before getting blood out of the dog.

My dog had a chemical reaction to front line that chemically burned his skin and all his hair fell out around the application site...We use Advantix II now with better results. I have had lymes, no fun for sure.