• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Season Hunters

DonBo

Well my honey hole was still full of turkeys !! I have hunted 1 st season for 5 years in a row , and still love first season ! Weather can suck on any season . We filled out yesterday . I let my buddy shoot first and he arrowed a nice 10 inch bearded tom by 8 am. We had birds roasted behind the blind 75-100 yards . They gobbled and strut but would not move from the hens . Then they saw our decoys and 2 toms came in , 21 yard shot ..

In the afternoon we returned to the same spot but moved the blind 50 yards closer to the roast. By 330 I arrowed my double bearded Tom , he had a 8 .5 and a 7.5 inch beards and came in at 21 lbs..

my friends bird only weighed 17 lbs and was a older bird , the snow and extra long winter must be hard on some of them , all the birds I have weighted in my area have been 21 to 22.5 lbs ..

find the roast and food and it should be easy

My son shot a 6.5 inch bearded HEN and my Grandson Dillon got a 17.2 Jake and they were both done out of the same blind by 7:16 am the first day. Hope it goes that good for me starting on Monday!! Lots of single Toms working the low edges of fields but with the rain they just arnt talking or responding like yesterday though!!! 57

My son shot a 6.5 inch bearded HEN and my Grandson Dillon got a 17.2 Jake and they were both done out of the same blind by 7:16 am the first day. Hope it goes that good for me starting on Monday!! Lots of single Toms working the low edges of fields but with the rain they just arnt talking or responding like yesterday though!!! 57

Way to go 1957! Got pics of the proud father/son team?

2" more of the white Stuff on the ground!! My son and I took his wife out this morning. Saw 7 toms and 3 jakes and a few hens. NOT even interested in the decoys and had a Tom 100 yards or more north of us sit in the tree until 9:30 this morning. The good thing is that one of the Jakes was interested in DSD decoys(2 hens out only), and he did the only talking.As soon as he hit the ground he was in full strut and gobbling. All the other turkeys that were there left but he was commited from the get go. Took some fancy calling from 4 different calls from my son to coax that rascal in. He really liked the Lil Heartbreaker or I mean the back breaker...LOL Her jake weighed just shy of 18lbs. Good job Cassie!!! Also got it all on video to watch for years.. 57

Nice work 57! That's three down without taking any of the big boys. I KNOW you're saving them for your team "We're #1 cool"

Next week looks promising. smile

Hey, thanks guys. I went this morning wanting to video out there at the same spot and DID NOT get a responsive answer from the hens or toms. Not even any tree talk from the hens. Beautiful COLD morning but no birds. Did drive back in the half mile section we hunt and did see 1 single tom and a tom with 5 hens up top. Drove to the other spots we have to hunt and all the looking we did not see a bird anywhere at all. Should fire them up on a day like today though. Fingers crossed for Monday!!!57

Happy Birthday Anyfish!

Season A was crazy for me 4 days of sitting behind my dads house and seeing no turkeys during the morning and midday. I went and hit a couple public places in the afternoon and had no luck at them. So yesterday morning I hiked into a place that has been a roost for many years. I hauled my gear in my early and late season icefishing sled. I had a coyote come out and circle me until it got my wind and bolted. It never got closer then 100 yards. I did not hear any turkeys but saw turkey tracks out there. At 10am I get a text from my brother saying 4 toms are strutting behind my dad's, so I took off to try and get there before they left the area. I got there in less the then an hour and the turkeys were gone. I stayed out until about 415 and then packed up. The turkeys were strutting where I had my decoys the days before. O well I tried and hunted for 5 days. It was a good time even though the turkeys did come out and play with me. With more snow coming on Tuesday I feel for you season B people. Good Luck and I hope you all get your bird.