• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr Beer

I have 5 or 6 glass carboys. I just am not a fan of how flexible the BB are when moving around filled. But I do have to remain vigilent on handling my glass carboys. I've seen the pictures too.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, I've been sleeping and missed the first two pages of this thread.

I just recently bought a pair of BB to try, otherwise I've used 3,5.5 and 6 gal. glass carboy since I've been brewing.

My boss just gave me 2 glass carboys, the little bubblers for the top, a steel pot, funnel, brushes, capper, caps, and some other stuff. Basically a whole brew kit minus some hosing that was rotted away.

What do I do with it all? haha IM big into octoberfests, and some of the spring stuff like the goosetown by schells, or fattire, Anyone got any recipes they can share to get me started, or directions?

Sounds like you have a setup for making extract kits/recipies. Check the Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer websites for extract kits, ingredients, and general instructions.

Questions will be easier with a basic understanding.

What do I do with it all? haha IM big into octoberfests, and some of the spring stuff like the goosetown by schells, or fattire, Anyone got any recipes they can share to get me started, or directions?

Surely! I would skip over all lagers in the beginning, as you need to have some huge yeast starters and a means of controlling fermenting temps (refrigerator and digital temp controller so you ferment near 49F and lager near 32F). You can make them at cool temps with ale yeasts (60-62F), but they you really have an ale and not a lager.

Here's a Fat Tire recipe, you can price it out versus the FT clone extract kits at Midwest or Northern Brewer. I just made the all grain version and its close. This one is converted to an extract format(almost partial mash):

6 lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract (provides most of the fermentable sugars)

1 lbs Dark Munich grain (gives some color and the malty flavor)

0.5 lbs Crystal 80 grain (some color and residual sweetness)

0.5 lbs Victory grain (this is what gives it a nutty flavor)

0.5 oz Target pellet hops (most of the bitterness)

0.5 oz Williamette pellet hops (some flavor and aroma)

0.5 oz East Kent Goldings hops (aroma)

1 packet S-05 yeast

Irish moss (prepackaged doses or as indicated by jar)

Muslin bag or 5 gallon paint strainer bag

Order the grains pre-crushed from brew shop. Heat 1.5 gallons of filtered water to 155F in your brew kettle (3 gallon capacity min, 8-10 is better). Put grains in muslin bag (or new 5 gallon paint strainer bag) and add to water, thoroughly stirring to wet the grain. Allow to sit for 30-40 minutes, holding as closely to 152F as possible. Remove bag and grains, squeeze to remove as much worth as possible.

Add filtered water for boil, 90% of max kettle capacity (6 gallons max). Bring to boil and add 0.5 oz Target hops. Add half of your 6 lb bottle of liquid malt extract at this time also. 50 minutes into the boil, add 0.5 oz Willamette hops (referred to as 10 minute addition from flameout), the 2nd half of your liquid malt extract, and Irish moss. After the final 10 minutes of the boil, add 0.5 oz of East Kent Goldings hops. Turn off heat and chill to 62F as quickly as possible.

Transfer to sanitized carboy via sanitized funnel. Add any makeup water if you boiled less than 6 gallons. Shake carboy vigorously to aerate wort. Pitch dry yeast packet into wort by sprinkling through top opening. Affix stopper and airlock with water, vodka, or star-san solution.

Ferment in ambient temps between 59 and 63F for 3 weeks. Transfer to bottling bucket and prime with 4 oz of corn sugar/1 cup of boiling water. Bottle condition at ~ 70F for 3 weeks, and fridge for 1-2 weeks. Enjoy!

Note, if you have 5 gallon carboys, you will have to scale this down a tad. I would add no more than 4-4.25 gallons to the carboy or you will have a massive blow over. A 1-1.5 gallon head space allows for the foaming action of the yeast. They also make 6 and 6.5 gallon carboys which would allow more wort to be added.

Quote:

Transfer to sanitized carboy via sanitized funnel.

To further this, everything that touches the wort once it comes off boil and starts to cool needs to be sanitized.

For cleaning use PBW. Don't use dish soap/detergent.

For sanitizing use StarSan.

Mix each according to the instructions; more is not better.

I hear there is a new brew shop in Faribo.....anybody know where it is?

I just searched for it:

Know-How Brews

512 Central Avenue N.

Faribault, MN 55021

Looks like they are open Wed-Sat, so check their HSOforum for hours.

Another option for sanitizing that is cheaper then StarSan is potassium metabisulphite, its used for sanitizing and also for killing off yeast for wine, its what i have been using for awhile, i use it for my bottles, equipment everything.

I don't check in very often, but was excited to see another brewing thread! It's great to see more folks getting into the hobby. A few more tips and hints: get a hold of John Palmers "How to Brew". Probably the best all around book for any home brewer, from noob to experienced. Another cheap effective cleaner is oxy-clean free. Star san for sanitizer. (Don't fear the foam!) lastly, if you want to get really serious about brewing, keep impeccable records. Write it all down, and keep it organized.

Lastly, who else heard that Midwest is now owned by the same company that owns NB? Happened about a month ago. Midwest let a bunch of great people go, some that had been there from the very beginning. I have begun hanging out at Brew and Grow in Fridley more and more lately.

Good luck and brew on!

Wow, hadnt heard that MW and NB are now the same. I still usually head down to Midwest, but do give some busines to BnG too.

I still pull How to Brew out from time to time for reference. Good tips.

interesting most of the stuff was the same, did the name change in hopkins to NB?

For now, no. The retail stores are separate, but this doesn't make much sense, having to have different labels made for all of the products for the different stores, etc. I think it is only a matter of time until the Midwest label goes the way of the buffalo. Nothing is shipped from Midwest's location any more. Everything (whether it says midwest or northern brewer on the package) is shipped from NB's warehouse in Roseville. If anyone has been there, it makes much more sense, it is much more state of the art compared to what midwest was doing in SLP.