• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr Beer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only know about mr beer stuff and on my first brew so can't offer much advice yet. if you do try it follow the instructions accept for the time. It says beer in 2 weeks. Not true from everyone I have talked to. 2 weeks minimum ferment, then 2 weeks in bottle to carbonate then 2 weeks to condition then put a couple bottles in the fridge and cool for 2 days. then enjoy..... hopefully smile mr beer site is online and probably at stores in Fargo.

so what kinda of kit or system would you guys suggest? I'm gonna just start out never done it but you guys got me wanting to.

Just get one of the single stage (primary fermenter only) kits for starting out. I got the next step up that included a glass carboy for secondary fermentation but I've only used it once, and that was for longer term lagering of a Maibock. Most beers don't really need a secondary. They will ferment, clean up, and clear nicely in just the primary fermenter.

The Midwest Supplies brewing basic kit would be fine to see if you're going to get into it or not. Then you'll need a kettle for boiling the wort A turkey fryer setup works good if you can ensure the kettle is really clean so you don't get grease flavor et al. You can use smaller and do partial boils but the larger volume you can boil generally the better off you are.

As for equipment, any system will do really so go with your preference. Take into account your time invested. It takes between 2-3 hours to get a batch brewed and cooled leading up to the yeast pitch. If you drink a fair amount of beer, then a larger 5 gallon system will be more time effective. Heck I would love to have a 10-15 gallon setup, but the logistics of moving stuff around gets tougher. Brew kettles are still a consideration. I am still using an aluminum 8 gallon pot that was part of a turkey fryer kit ($50, but was never used for turkeys). I am thinking of going stainless soon with a thick Stainless/aluminum/Stainless bottom for even heat transfer.

As for beer kits, I really like the variety of and selection of Northern Brewer or Midwest Supplies. One of the keys is the freshness of the malt extract itself. Especially with the Liquid Malt Extract (LME), the fresher you can get the better your beer will taste. Thse guys ship out so much stuff that it will have sat in their warehouse for less than a week. Yeast is another area where fresher is better. Really light lagers or ales can be a little tougher because there's nowhere for off flavors to hide. So I would recommend ales first. And something like wheat beer, or darker ales for starting out (Irish red, brown, porter, stout, etc).

How to Brew by John Palmer is an excellent text, if anyone wants to read up. He also has an online version thats free, but some of the online info is outdated as its his first edition.

The bottled batch looks good Eyeguy! If it has the chance to get any sunlight at all in that location, I'd cover it with a towel. Don't want light skunked beer, which even brown bottles will allow over time.

What did you brew for batch #2?

yepper it's a dark room. barely any light in there during the day. and I do have a towel over it, good tip. This batch is Patriot Lager. smile the 2 gallon set up with mr beer is really easy. Sanitize to sitting on the dresser in the LBK is about 30 minutes.

be careful with this beer making hobby. next thing you know is you'll be installing your own kegerator to serve your beer. grin

Must resist...must resist... smile

So far I don't make enough that bottling is too much of a burden, especially if you rinse them out good right after drinking the contents.

Kegging is just part of the natural progression of the hobby. Usually done somewhere just before or just after going all grain. You can convert just about any fridge to a kegging setup; you don't need to buy a high end kegerator.

You can keg a batch in 15 minutes flat, whereas bottling takes 1-1.5 hrs. But I still bottle all of my higher gravity brews and some of the lower ones. About 50/50. The 5 gallon soda kegs are going up in price all the time. Used ones are now $50-60 where you coul buy them for $25 or 30 just a few years ago.

I tried to find the deal, all I found was a sale of $375 for what he paid 396 new. That one was not a good deal at all. Give me some more details on what you saw please.

On another note, did anyone hear the buzz on the proposed state tax increases on beer? Potentially $2 per 12 pack, jeeesh. If that bill goes through, I will be able to make 75-80% of a batch of beer for the tax alone on commerical beer.

Another benefit of homebrewing. Ingredients are considered food, so tax free.

I tried to find the deal, all I found was a sale of $375 for what he paid 396 new. That one was not a good deal at all. Give me some more details on what you saw please.

On another note, did anyone hear the buzz on the proposed state tax increases on beer? Potentially $2 per 12 pack, jeeesh. If that bill goes through, I will be able to make 75-80% of a batch of beer for the tax alone on commerical beer.

Another benefit of homebrewing. Ingredients are considered food, so tax free.

Go to the main search on the left side and put "home brewing", that should get you there.

Just searched and didn't see it, must be sold.

i checked that out that is an AWESOME deal for a new brewer those carboys alone for glass run $30-$40 if not more if i didnt have plenty of stuff i would jump on that.

If I had to do it all over again (or for any more new purchases) it'll be Better Bottles carboys. After reading and looking at the broken glass carboy thread and pictures on HBT I'm leery of even handling mine.