• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigs...rattles or no rattles

bassfshin24

What does everyone prefer when they are fishing a jig. I feel like I use a jig with a rattle 75% of the time. I know it probably depends on conditions. Let me know what u guys use and why.

I was convinced at one time that a jig with a rattle was the only jig to use on LOTW. Then, I ran out and the store just had plain jigs. I noticed no difference.

A rattle doesn't hurt or help, IMO

I hate not having a rattle, even in clear water. I mean, completely freak out about it. I carry spares and replace them when they get eaten off, and I add them to jigs that don't have them (***stares at Chris DeMars*** smile ). I'm convinced they help.

A few years ago Northland changed the rattles they used on Jungle Jigs for a little while. I thought right off the bat that the new rattles just didn't work as well, but told myself it couldn't make that much difference and I was nuts - until another friend of mine mentioned the same thing. They changed back, and they went back to normal.

I actually do use the Northland Rattle Claws when I add them to jigs. I like the double rattle and they fit just about any jig. I keep a bunch in with my spare hooks and skirts and stuff.

Swim jigs - don't care. Think they're more visual anyhow, and the way you fish them a rattle wouldn't rattle much anyhow.

I actually brought up this question because I made a order locally for some jigs and they don't have rattles. I think I'll have to get some of those rattles u are talking about RK because the jigs I ordered look amazing and could only be better with rattles.

If you ordered from North Star CB, they are amazing... Also very easy to add rattles to them.

You can also order bulk rattles from Northland off their HSOforum. Can get a lifetime supply a lot cheaper per piece than buying them carded 3 at a time. I put them on undressed (no skirt) football heads, punching rigs...all kinds of stuff.

Rattles make no difference, and that is my honest opinion, I fish the river, lakes, dirty water, clear water, largemouth, smallmouth, pike, eyes, flipping sheepshead, whatever. The rattles have never made a difference. If I had the purchasing power of Northland and could order my rattles direct by the 50,000 count like they do then I would probably keep them, as it is they cost me just as much as you guys can purchase them for which means they nearly double the hard costs on my jigs. This isn't meant as a rip on guys that have a mental hangup on something that doesn't matter (Staring at RK grin) its just the truth behind the fact as to why I dropped the rattles on my jigs.

I use to have rattles on all my jigs, now I hardly ever use them. To be honest I catch more fish on a jig then every before and some of my biggest fish as well. I could either contribute that to no rattles or switching to NSCB jigs, what do you think Chris?? LOL. honestly I think it boils down to a confidence thing.

Sound is known to be transmitted very well through aquatic vegetation. Visibility is limited in aquatic vegetation. I'll take my chances with a rattle!

I'm very particular with my rattles. I don't like the add on rattles that everybody sells with the rubber collars. I prefer larger/louder rattles that are usually glued onto the jig. They have a distinct sound and I think it makes a difference. Helps my confidence if nothing else. I seriously buy one of the oldest cheapest jigs on the market because of the rattles! I wonder if a certain jig maker could put my favorite rattles on his pretty jigs????

In my fishing roughly 15 years of fishing for many native MN fish I've come to think that rattles work sometimes and don't other times.

I don't even think about rattle when I grab a jig, I think about color, size, and action. As soon as a catch a couple then I usually notice, and depending on that I stick with rattle or no rattle for the rest of the day.

If I break it down its--> 25% of the time they will detour fish- 50% of that time it won't matter- 25% of the time it will attract fish.

I don't know of many critters in our lakes and rivers that make a clicking, rattling sound, so i'm unsure about how natural are rattles. I guess maybe a crustacean like a craw.... anyway, bass and other fish are so sensitive to electricity and movement (this has become mostly theory and speculation) that the sound of a jig probably really does make them think "FOOD!", or just cause a sensory overload to make them bite.

If in times of high fishing pressure, or boat traffic, or rain/waves/any volatile weather, a rattle might absolutely SCREAAAM out "fake" to an interested fish, or they won't even hear or notice it.

Mostly because this post made me think about it, I think I'm going to stay away from rattles in pressured waters, and use them more when they haven't seen many baits.