• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel Bearings (Replacement or Maintenance)

icefisker

Just wondering how everyone else maintains fishing reel bearings, or a good place to find some replacements. I have pflueger presidents in 20 and 30 size. I use my 6920s for ice fishing and also my panfish rods in the summer, so they get a pretty good workout! Try to keep my gear in top shape, thanks for your insight.

replacements = Boca Bearings either ABEC 5 stainless steel or Orange Seal Ceramic hybrids ABEC 7...you look and you can find 10-15% off coupon codes...

maintaining, flush with either lighter fluid or carb cleaner then a very small drop of oil...

Most of the time a little drop of reel oil will be enough to keep them going. If you've gotten dried up grease then a little bearing flush is what you might want to do. Keeping this simple, just soak the bearing in acetone or lighter fluid and slosh it around some. Take the bearing out and give it a few good spins to see if it spins freely. Soak and repeat until you've got those bearings spinning freely. Now just squirt a little grease back into them and put them back in the reel. If you've got sheilded bearings then a drop of oil will do instead of grease.

replacements = Boca Bearings either ABEC 5 stainless steel or Orange Seal Ceramic hybrids ABEC 7...you look and you can find 10-15% off coupon codes...

maintaining, flush with either lighter fluid or carb cleaner then a very small drop of oil...

If you put the ceramic ones in they would cost more than the reel grin. Been using Boca in my RC cars for a while now, they last forever.

As for the reel, I have never had a bearing go bad, they just don't spin fast enough in a fishing reel to wear out. I would do as skocsuhs said, clean the old bearing and repack with a light greese.

Thanks for the tips guys. Like i said, they pretty much get used 12 months a year. They probably arent going bad, but they do make a little noise. Something that probably can be addressed with a little clean out and lube.