• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why palm the reel?

h8go4s

This seems to be a popular thing among bass fisherman, but it seems illogical to me. What advantage is there? I hold the foregrip of the rod with my left hand and reel with my right hand. Palming the reel deosn't feel comfortable to me. Am I missing something?

Whatever works for you is what's right for you.

I hold the foregrip and never switch hands to cast when muskie fishing, palm baitcasting reels and crank with my right hand bass fishing, and crank with my left hand when I use spinning gear. I'm either versatile or confused. I also know guys who hold BC rods by the pistol grip when they bass fish.

I like to palm the reel because it's comfortable for me (with most reels - some brands are no-go with me because they just don't fit my hand) and I think I have good control over the rod. It's just what you get used to.

This seems to be a popular thing among bass fisherman, but it seems illogical to me. What advantage is there? I hold the foregrip of the rod with my left hand and reel with my right hand. Palming the reel deosn't feel comfortable to me. Am I missing something?

working baits in general...example; try to walk the dog holding the foregrip & see how that works out for ya...

It depends what I'm fishing with. If I'm using a technique that I don't need much sensitivity and casting and cranking large spinnerbaits and crankbaits I hold onto the foregrip to give me more leverage and not wear out my wrist as much. If I'm using a technique where sensitivity is important like worming or pitching jigs my hand is palming the reel to allow the rod to balance without fighting the weight of the reel.

Two reasons to palm for me. I find it is far more comfortable to palm a low-profile reel. With larger "rounds" I usually hold on the foregrip area. With some of the new rods there is no longer a soft (cork or synthetic) foregrip. Which depending on how the reel and rod fit together can cause a pinch-point or sore spot after a long day of fishing.

And when doing any type of rigging or pitching, to include drop-shotting. As I drop-shot with a bait casting rig, thanks for that tip DD. When palming, the line is laying across my fingers, which increases sensativity. I feel it allows me to feel light pick-ups better, even when punching milfoil I feel my hook-up ratio is increased as I feel the normal pick-up much faster and easier, long before I would have felt it with just the rod starting to load-up.

with the newer low profile baitcasters it is more comfortable for me to palm the reel. Whoever said whatever works for you is right and couldn't have said it better. When I was younger they still had low profile oval shaped reels but they still sat higher than todays models. Along with having smaller hands as a kid I held the rod with my pointer and middle finger having the trigger between it and held the butt end of than handle with the rest of my hand. Now that im grown it seems like I can get more leverage on a hookset by having the reel in my hand. A lot of the newer split grip rods dont even have a fore grip. So if your in the market for a new rod make sure to check that it does if you hold it that way.