• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak or Float tube!?!?!

Jim Uran

With gas prices up in the $100 per tank range, I plan on getting a small kayak or float tube thing, you know, the innertube with waders! I will be purchasing one or the other to haul around with my car and fish little oddball lakes this spring/summer.

What are your experiences with either? I've never been in a kayak, but have canoed all of my life. Not sure if they are comparable or not. I have never used a float tube, but those seem pretty basic and I think they look fun, and easy. I guess cost is important, I don't have a ton of expendable income, but enough for something to help me fish is always easy to cough up grin

So let's hear it, which one, and why??

I would vote kayak. I think that option would give you more maneuverability(i.e. its faster from spot to spot). Also, they give you the option of fishing streams and rivers. I also like to sit a bit higher on the water for visibility purposes, and a float tube puts you at water level. I have limited experience with either, but that's my opinion as a novice kayaker.

I picked up a 12ft canoe last spring. Best purchase I made in a while. You can carry more gear and can go a couple miles no problem. If its just a yak or tube, I would definitely go yak, but canoe is a good option too.

It would completely depend on your situation. If you like to cover water, I would get a kayak. If you're just looking to get a line wet for an hour or two after work, and don't need to cover a lot of water, I'd get a float tube. At least that way you don't have to haul the kayak around on the roof all day while you're working. Personally though, I'd just get one of each and be done with it. Best of both worlds!

I was looking at a 4 man inflatable raft for $44.00 today at Wa.. Mar!.I'm selling my Larson and thinking about the same thing.Kayak or floaty tube.I guess You buy an electric inflater and it hooks up to cig lighter on your vehicle.I'm worried about how the raft would do on busy current

If you have the $$$ to spend a Hobie would be the way to go. Both tubes and kayaks have their advantages and both have their draw backs. I have had a couple tubes over the years, they never realy seem to hold up to everyday fishing, always seem to put holes in them somehow blush. Imo a decent kayak is worth its weight in gold once you learn how to use it.

Too much fishing from a Kayak can get pretty tough on the old bod, particularly the lower back. They can also be pretty tippy when fighting bigger fish, or when you get caught in a gusty wind.

If you're familiar with a canoe, and/or already have one, why not just stick to a canoe? IMHO there is no better way to access virtually any water, stay reasonably safe and stable, and still have all the gear you need along with you at all times.

A 12-14 ft. canoe is perfect for small lakes and ponds, and you can usually find a good little used aluminum canoe for a couple hundred bucks, they are light and portable, easy to throw on the roof of a car, and you can drop em' in virtually anywhere with no concern for rocks, snags, etc.

Again, just my humble opinion. I love fishing from a canoe.

I have two 17-18 ft canoes and dont feel the need for another, I can handle tough on the bod part, Ive got lakes that are tough to get to and I think a kayak may fit the bill for what Im looking to do! If it ever thaws out up here lol

Lots of good yaks out there. 13' seems to be about the best balance between speed and maneuverability. Lots of good yaks in that range.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 or Trident 13

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Native's various 12 footers

Ride 135

Feel Free Moken 14

Jackson's kayaks

I'm very partial to the Trident 13 as that's where my money's at. The Tarpons are fantastic yaks as well. Only thing I won't do standing up in it is throw pounder bulldawgs. I want to do a harlem shake vid on it this year....