• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good ultralight rod for fishing crappies?

rkpolaris

This may or may not help you but just an idea.. I found a UL rod that I liked but it was a 2 piece and couldn't find any 1 piece rods that I liked or were in my price range at the store. What I did was bought the 2 piece that I liked and then used some 2-part 5 minute epoxy and glued the two pieces together. Can hardly tell it was ever a 2 piece.

The St. Croix Panfish Series 6'9" UL is a sweet little rod. Has a very soft tip, but it's not a noodle rod like a lot of the Ultra Lights I've handled. The backbone will let you flip panfish into your boat with ease, but also provide you enough strength if you hook into a pike, walleye, or even a bass.

I bought a couple of 6 1/2 ultra lights from the crappie rod section of the bp catalog but went with the 2 pc. I like the longer rods and just couldn't seem to keep the one pc ultra lights out of harm's way. They're really fun to use and I have no problem with hoisting fish into the boat. And they're not so expensive that you can't afford to replace one if anything happens. The lighter the rod, the more of a foot magnet, or kid magnet it seems to be.

I like the shimano convergence UL Spinning Rods great rod for the $$$. I use a 5'6". Good backbone for hooksets and a fun rod for playing big bull gills in the summer. I have also caught countless 16-20" bronzebacks while fishing pan fish, and it handles them well. Also comes with lifetime over the counter warranty, should something happen.

St. Croix Avid series 6'9" ML X-Fast AVS69MLXF

Use it for trolling and pitching 1/32 - 1/16 oz jig with grub and also for bobber fishing in the spring. This rod is awesome for crappies, I also use it for vertical jigging and drifting perch/walleyes, and it has lifetime warranty.

I'm not going to recommend a brand as there are many good rods out there, but! smile

The action you get will depend on how/ where you fish. I have a 6-6 UL St Croix that i love for open water areas.( great for panfish and sometimes very small lures for bass) I found this was NOT a good action for around brush and weeds. ( you just can't control the fish and are hung up much of the time)For that i use a 6' light or med light action.I have both.( mine are Berkely lightning that i bought from the outlet store)

I work at Dick's Sporting goods. Some of our most popular ultra light rod combos are the Quantum extra light and Quantum light. Each are available from $30-40 and come with either a 5' or 6' rod. Once we get closer to ice out I will be getting one for myself as a crappie set up!