• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How will this weather affect Opener?

B17

Even in the metro there is quite a bit of ice. Im hearing guys are still ice fishing on Mille Lacs and Im sure they are doing so very comfortably on lakes further north.

How will this affect Opener and the couple weeks after?

I am in north central Minn. we are still driving trucks on the ice and its May 12 th! With no 50-60 degree temps in sight up here, there is no way we will be ice free by opener. Only chance would be if we got a couple of days of driving rains and wind to eat the ice up, but I doubt it very much.

All this weather means for the opener is...if you want to catch fish out of a boat you will be fishig the southern part of MN. Otherwise bring your auger and short poles!! LOL and you may need your auger extension!!!

Here in the Detroit Lakes area, we have 39 inches of ice with a foot of snow on top, with an expected 12 inches more today and tonight, and no temperatures over 39 degrees for another week and a half. Might be tough on the opener whether or not the ice is off the lake.

Don't walk away from openers with cold water. Lots of walleyes including some big hog walleyes and northerns can be had in the shallows and pinch points near known spawning areas. I've seen late ice before and mother nature always seems to get her act together enough to get rid of ice in time for openers statewide. One exception might be lakes on the end of the Gunflint Trail.

full-593-32073-fishinginthesnow.jpg

I've seen and fished a few openers looking like that.

I'm not yet willing to declare the lakes around Duluth will have ice cover on opener but I think it's safe to say that LOTW, Kabetogama, and other lakes further north will for sure be ice covered on opener. If it is a late ice out around here, I'll be shallow and slow with jigs and minnows or I might just be chasing lakes on Superior