• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

File Extensions

I ran into a problem with a memory card in my phone and it moved all of my media files into a folder and stripped their file extensions/types. I've recovered the files from the folder but now have to attach an extension so that they open properly. Photos need to be .jpg, movies-.mp4, music-.mp3, and so on.

As you can figure out, there is no way to tell what a file is or how to name it.

When I "rename" the file using Windows7 and attach an extension I might get lucky and it is a photo. But if it isn't a photo, then my problem is that it will not allow me to change the file type again. If I try to rename a file (which I thought was a photo file) to a music file it just changes it to: filexyz.mp3.jpg. Of course this won't open because .jpg is still associated as the file type.

How can I wipe out the wrong file type and start over?

Huh? You are right clicking and using rename correct? I just tried what you are doing with a .jpg file while on the desktop and renamed it a .mov and them re-renamed it .jpg again. It switch back and forth fine.

For reference I did give it no extension and Windows recognized it as a media file but just gave it a default media player icon. I have media thumbnails turned on by the way and every time I rename it a .jpg I would get the preview thumbnail right back.

Huh? You are right clicking and using rename correct?

Correct.

Brainfart...

I thought that "hide known file extensions" was unchecked (because I always do that) but apparently I hadn't or something changed it back. Once that was unchecked I now have the ability to change extensions at will. *banghead*