• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new boat..... now what

gwiff100

I guess i should have really said 1st real boat. Recently upgraded from an old 1980 lund boat to a 2004 alumacraft.. now comes the hard part... accessorizing it. I would like an updated sonar and gps... however i believe only 1 is an option this summer. I have an LX7 that i use for ice fishing and would love to add it to the boat for my sonar and put the smaller/older sonar upfront. I figured that would be the ticket since i already have Navionics on my phone that will get me to any spot i need then maybe next year i could upgrade to a gps. and have a side by side display (really feel like im big timing it ya know cool )

here lies my problem, my buddy/fishing partner swears i should upgrade my gps unit rather than put the lx7 in the boat.... his main point is speed, with the navionics on my phone i can get places and yes it does show speed while traveling, but it isn't as accurate when moving at super slow speeds, .5 - 1.5...(walleye spinners and lindy rigs)

so FSO community what should i do....

battery can be fixed by adding a charger... so im not too concerend there.... i just love my 7 so much its hard not to add it...

bu then when i look at the gps units... a person might as well get a gps/sonar combo for the price....

sounds like marcum is a couple years away from adding any gps to thier current devices.

i think for this summer i might just make a small purchase then buy myself a nice Christmas present...

decided on either minnkota co-pilot, mounting the lx7, buying an older gps (that will be replaced next year)

most logical decision and one im leaning towards is the minnkota, as i do have a sonar in the boat already just isn't up to my liking...

It's an awesome problem to have! I'm in the same boat.

My new/used rig came with low end electronics for both console and bow mount, so I don't really intend to upgrade right away. I am, however, very seriously considering a hand-held GPS unit that I can mount on both the boat console, and on the dash of my sled during the winter.

The lake master option would change my fishing success exponentially on both open water and ice, I'm confident of that.

So many fun gadgets and gizmos to add! It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! laugh

While on this topic, what would be your first choice of hand-held GPS units that are Lake Master compatible, and have all the cool mounting bracket options available?

I am, however, very seriously considering a hand-held GPS unit that I can mount on both the boat console, and on the dash of my sled during the winter.

While on this topic, what would be your first choice of hand-held GPS units that are Lake Master compatible, and have all the cool mounting bracket options available?

To be honest, I think if you're looking to spend the money on a quality handheld, a Humminbird 386ci might be your best bet. This way, you can buy the extra mounting base for the bow of your boat, and you can also by the mounting bracket for your sled. It retails for around $299.99, but I am sure if you did some searching you could find a better deal. Considering you're looking at investing in a quality handheld, IMHO you get more bang for the buck with this unit because they are going to be similar screen sizes, but now you have access to a color GPS/Fish Finder combo.

CSam, still here with Internet hookup. Was hoping to be at the cabin already guess not. I have a Garmin handheld with a mounting bracket on boat console and on my ATV. I like the portability. Back to staring out the windows and my boat sitting in the driveway. Oh we'll crappies wouldn't be biting anyway... grin

What do you have B? Is it Lake master compatible?

FS24. I appreciate the tip. The unit you are suggesting, is it a handheld I can take with me, or is this 386ci unit something specifically a fish-finder sized, console mounted thing?

I'd really like one that's not too big. I don't need anything with super hyper telescopic visual 3D micro gradient vision. Just something that will put me close to, or on the spot. I can do the rest once I'm there.

Trying to see a handheld screen as your going across the lake sucks, I know been there done that.... New LM chips are only compatible with HB products now, older chips work in the Lowrance units if you already have one older than 2011? Garmin don't accept them they use their own mapping system... Personaly I use my HDS 5 on the boat and quad/truck for ice fishing and havent even powered up my hand held in 3 years...

I'd really like one that's not too big. I don't need anything with super hyper telescopic visual 3D micro gradient vision. Just something that will put me close to, or on the spot. I can do the rest once I'm there.

If you fish the same small lake and the same three spots all the time, I would agree. Otherwise it sounds like you don't know what you don't know.

I'd have two 12" touch screens on my boat if I could. laugh

Me too Kyhl, but that kind of money would buy a lot of beans! wink

I'll admit, I don't know the current trends in electronics, or what the different options are out there. I'll be fishing a lot of new water, but am confident in my abilities to catch fish. I intend to spend a lot of time on LOTW, and having a small, bow-mounted (or sled dash) GPS would be extremely helpful for finding big water structure.

Wanna sell me your hand-held with the LM chips? wink

Like I said, I'm not looking for much.

Sorry chips are in my HDS units, the Expedition C just lives in the cabinet all alone...And I'm not a LM fan so don't own any, all Navionics here....The difference between my Expedition and HDS is huge as far as what it shows, Expedition zooms to .02 miles HDS to 50' and having a bigger screen lets you know at a glance where you are and whats ahead of you unlike trying to get close enough to the handheld to see whats it's showing you and hope while your looking you don't hit a shallow reef or island... If I was fishing LOW I would move my 7 to the dash for more GPS screen, gets tricky enough on a dark night on Vermilion even in areas I know well... If you get stuck in a fog I want a unit I can see clearly out of the corner of my eye or at a quick glance while keeping my eyes on the water ahead of me...

You make very good points EM. You're making me re-think the small hand-held option.

So does anyone make a "smaller" version of a LM chip compatible GPS/fish/depth finder that can be both mounted on a boat console, and snowmachine dash, one that has a reasonably large LED screen, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I'd be in at around $350-$450 bones. No more.

Yes. Lowrance does, for sure. Don't know about H'bird.

OK, took a look at big C. from cheapest to more expensive

Bird 176i combo (less than 150)

Lowrance Mark 4 DSI combo or mark 4 combo (not dsi)

Bird 196ci

Lowrance Elite 4 combo

Since you have to buy a chip, I would venture that the Elite 4 or the 385i would meet your needs. There are some cheaper units, but some don't support maps, even though they have a GPS

And at the top of the budget...

(these are all 5 inch units)

Bird 587ci, 597ci, and Lowrance Elite 5DSI combo.

There are some Garmins also but the combo units are a little higher than your budget.

you could look into the 300 series Hb's

im a true amateur, 1 1/2 years ago I pulled the trigger on HB 597 ci HD (flasher, graph, & gps), I have not looked back or regretted it 1 second. wife huffed & puffed for a month after the purchase, then I took her to mille lacs twice last year, once for fall full moon trolling and during this trip she commented "honey, I don't remember how much that fish finder cost but it was worth every penny." she really enjoyed the "mapping" aspects and loved how you could find your way back to dock in dark with the gps trail feature

Thanks guys! This is great info. Appreciate your wisdom, experience, and even doing a little research for me!

I'll definitely use this intel to help make a decision in a few weeks. Sounds like I can get into this for quite a bit less then I've budgeted for. That'll help me afford the two different mounting bracket systems for both the boat and the sled!

I'll have to do some homework on the LM chip system, and which will work best for me. 99% of my fishing will be between Devils Lake, Red River Valley, LOTW, Rainy River and Lake, and the lakes in central and northern Minnesota.

You can pick up a used HDS 5 for $400 easy, I use mine year round on the boat or quad and truck and ice shack when walking out. Mines on a ram mount so if I want to mount it on the quad ect all I need is the ball mount for it but I use mine on a Vex pack for portability, Keep in mind though LM now is only compatible with HB units unless you have an older chip....

You make very good points EM. You're making me re-think the small hand-held option.

So does anyone make a "smaller" version of a LM chip compatible GPS/fish/depth finder that can be both mounted on a boat console, and snowmachine dash, one that has a reasonably large LED screen, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I'd be in at around $350-$450 bones. No more.

Humminbird 597 $499 retail

Humminbird 778 HD... $549 retail

Both 5 inch screens/ color

Probably on the top end of your price guideline, but this unit would meet all of your criteria very well..

A little investigation of online pricing should get you closer.

This is a color unit, there is a mono version available also which would be less also.

This unit will convert to an ice machine very easily also with a few different components