• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Window Installation

crazyzoe

I was wondering if anybody has an idea what is the typical cost to install a window (just install not window price). I have (14) new windows I need to put in. These are just standard size windows....no odd sizes or shapes. Debating if I should tackle myself or pay to have it done. Would be no trim work done as I am putting new siding on the outside and new trim on the inside. Any opinions on good windows? Pella, Marvin or Renewal by Anderson? Would like a good quality window that won't break the bank!!!

I am not an expert, so don't take my advice as gospel. wink

I paid to have about 1/3 of my windows done by "professionals". Only reason was because I had one huge picture window that I was afraid to mess up on my own. They did an OK job on most, but I think hid some rotten wood from me without telling me on one side of my house. They charged an arm and a leg and I wish I didn't hire them at all... The salesman also lied to me about the color options.

I did the rest of the windows with the assistance of my dad. We found 2 window frames rotten one one side of my house and replacing that was annoying. I had to pull all of the trim from the inside on those windows and re-do it later. The third window on that side is the one the "pros" hid from me.

The rest of the windows were all rather simple to do, and if you are sure you don't have rotten wood to be replaced it is a good do it yourself kind of job. I used Jeld-Wen vinyl replacement windows from Menards, sliding style.

Avoid "insert" windows if you're re-doing the siding. You want a full framed new construction window.

If you want a good window at less than high end price, check out Integrity Wood Ultrex by Marvin. They are a wood clad window (Ultrex on the exterior) and come in a few different exterior colors. If you aren't looking for a wood interior they have an All-Ultrex option as well, but you'll only get white on the interior.

The Andersen 100 series windows are a good option also at less than high end price. They have fewer options however and only come in white on the interior.

Renewal by Andersen has to be installed by their people. In my experience that's pretty costly.

In my area installers are getting $150 or so an opening, things like steel siding removal, second story, plaster interior can alter the price.

I was told many years ago that if you were replacing windows you had to meet code. That meant windows with egress capability in the bedrooms. I may have the wrong terms and perhaps the code changed But that was a big issue for me as it would have resulted in some significant interior remodeling. New trim on the inside plus the inevitable plaster and painting seems to be on the list. We ended up just putting in new sash, but we were lucky enough not to have rotted wood.

Perhaps some folks who are active in the business can advise on the window size/code issue.

When we did the siding we had the contractor put a full layer of 1 inch polyunsaturate insulation on the entire house. The windows were getting covered and so they had to fur them out. But boy did that make a difference in the 40 year old house with 2x4 walls.

About 3 years ago we had our windows replaced in our 1950's home when there was a tax rebate for using certain high insulating value windows. We went with Pella windows and did a complete replacement, including all custom sizes. The windows are aluminum clad (with aluminum brickmold) on the exterior and wood interior. The beauty of custom sizes was that I didn't have to do any patching of drywall on the interior.

We hired the entire job out. I bought the windows and had them shipped to a paint shop to stain & varnish the interiors; the interior trim was also sent there for staining and varnishing. Then the contractor removed the entire old window, installed the new window and installed the trim. We had (I think) 21 windows of various sizes. The windows came out to about $1,000 (!) per window after taxes, etc. I don't recall how much per window the tax rebate saved me later. I could have saved a little money by going to a different installer, but the Pella rep told me the guy I went with was the best.

We paid a LOT of money for the "super-duper" windows, but it was worth it. Even being an architect, I am still surprised at the difference I can actually feel standing next to the window in both winter and summer. It was a LOT of money, but worth it IMHO. Just for comparison, I think paid around $450 per window for one of my duplexes for vinyl inserts.

I am not in the business, but here is what we were told a couple years ago. If all you are doing is replacing the windows with the original size you can without making them egress. If you change the size then you much provide egress.

(we have a 60's Ranch type with lathe and plaster so would have been a big job for egress)

swing into a lumber yard or 3 and look at a few brands. tons of different stuff if installing yourself. If you are handy, no problem putting them in. If not, hire it done. smile 150 seems steep unless it's total replacement with wrap and trimwork. still a lot. I have sold 10 brands over the last 25 years and they all work if installed properly. Anderson is vinyl exterior, marvin is aluminum. Integrity by marvin is Ultrex (fiberglass), Pella is a thinner aluminum exterior that marvin. And there are a lot of vinyl windows that are good also. Thermo Tech is made right here in SR and is a good one and a nice cost and is all over the state at lumber yards. Personally I like vinyl so no staining inside. If I wanted real wood inside I would pick Marvin. Saying they are standard size might not mean that they are. Sizes have changed over the years even if you put the same brand back in. Good luck.

I just got 26 Marvin integrity windows (4 over 1 )pattern for my 1928 craftsman style home.

I'm planning on installing 1/2 inch foam when I install.

I will be doing the installation myself. But I would guess that 150 per opening wouldn't cover my installation costs with the amount of tear out involved, removing the window weight boxes , flashing, etc.

Can't help you out with an actual cost per opening. Sorry

A contractor replaced half of our windows last year at $400 a pop for installation. This was full window replacements, tear out, trim, insulating any gaps, new brick mold, and disposal.

Wasn't cheap because we switched from sliders to casement on the smaller windows which meant custom sizes, so we are spreading the work over two years.

Chose Marvin casements with the aluminum clad and wood interior over the Anderson 400's because Marvin's had an extra layer of seal when closed. I was really surprised at how much quieter the house is with the new windows.