• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Temple Fork Outfitters signature series

DLD24

I'm looking to buy my first nicer rod and I have been shopping around I looked at the st. croix mojo and the shimano compre and I'm going to check out the TFO rod tomorrow...Would you guys rate the TFO series better than the other 2?? Also I will probably bass fish with it the most and some walleyes....Should I get a M or MH power??? Thanks for any help

I don't know anything about Temple Fork rods, and I've never used Mojo rods but have held them, and fished with guys who use them.

I have become a big fan of Shimano Rods. Over the last few years I've bought (for me and for my kid) 3 compres that we mainly use for crankbaits, swimbaits, frogs and spinnerbaits (I really, really like their action for crankbaits), and 3 crucials that we use for dropshotting, jigging, live bait fishing, etc. The crucials are a little lighter weight and have a little better sensitivity, of course they also carry a higher price tag. I really like the compres and crucials that we have.

The real key is how the rod feels to you, and if the power and action fit the techniques you'll use it for.

Hope that helps.

The online reviews aren't very good on the Triple Creek, they say they are banking on the Loomis name and the parts used are mediocre at best.My favorite rod, but I just started bass fishing, is a honeycomb Skeet Reese rod with the microguides. It looks dumb, banana yellow, but I sure like the weight and the action. They are about $99 everywhere now.

I own the St.Croix Mojo plastics rod and also the Shimano clarus, compre, and crucial series rods (not all of the series). I have picked up the temple fork at the stores near my house but never cared for them. In my opinion you can never go wrong with the shimano series of rods. They are great quality, feel good, sensitive, sleek and stylish etc. The mojo is a bit tip heavy compared to my shimanos. Shimano all the way wink

Shimano's are nice and I like their warranty policy and process. I have generally been a St. Croix fan but my last couple new rods have been Limit Creek. IMO they are great rods for the money. The Smoothie is one of my favorite.

If you are only buying multi purpose one rod I would look for a 6' 6" with medium power and a fast tip.

Check out a discussion on these rods in the walleye section below. I bought 2 (Reeds have them buy 1 get 1 free), and also talked to Gary Loomis himself to get all of my questions answered about them. I'm not sure where the poor reviews are coming from, but I am impressed with them. They are rated a bit different, so go a step lower than you would on other rods (M or even ML).

TFO is a huge name in the fly fishing industry and makes very good fly-rods according to my friend who owns a fly-fishing lodge in Alaska.

I bought 2 of the TFO signature series from the Reed's 2for1 sale they had a couple months back. I had planned to be use them for drop-shotting.

They are extremely tip heavy! Let me stress that they are extremely tip heavy! (So are St. Croix Mojo.) Hopefully I can find a use for them or they will be piled up in the corner of the garage. Maybe I can use them for jigging for walleyes, but I have better rods for that, too. I have dozens of mid-dollar range ($100+) rods on up and really didn't need these. I will never purchase a rod over the internet without first fondling one again. Lesson learned.

The signature series is their opening price point. I hear better things about the TFO Tactical Series.