• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Low Vis Leader

Vitreus

i put on 4' of #10-#12mono or fluro leader with a uni to uni knot

when connecting thin superlines to leader i recommend doubling it first before connecting and will help against it cuttin through the leader

and a dab of fishing glue for a lil extra reassurance

I use fluoro, usually make it as long as my rod allows, usually 4-5', with a swivel connecting them using the same knots as walleye guy. I like to keep it long at first so if I have to retie there's still enough leader after a few reties.

I've always used a swivel without thinking about anything else but I've started to notice more people using a uni to uni. What are some of the reasons for your choices of swivel vs uni to uni?

I like tying on directly to the leader using a uni to uni or a surgeons knot

for me it allows me to reel closer to the jig when casting or when landing a fish. it'll slide right through the guides without catching

i used to use a swivel but id always forget i have a swivel and seem to reel right up to it often. ive wedge a swivel onto my rodtip before which isnt to bad but kinda a hassle

Leader lengths vary but usually minimum 6' but range up tp 10'. Vanish.

X2, 10lb vanish is what I use with a uni to uni knot. I avoid swivels because they lodge into guides if not paying attention, and have actually pulled an insert out of a guide a couple times. It also makes the fish easier to net when fishing alone being able to reel up that much more line.

I mostly use mono, but I'll throw on some flouro if I have it handy. I also tend to use a swivel instead of a uni-to-uni.

Using a uni-to-uni knot allows you to reel the knot into the guides of the rod and maintain good casting distance. If you've ever tried casting when your swivel has to pass through a guide, you know it doesn't work very well.

So, when I use a swivel, I use a shorter leader that allows me to cast without needing to reel the swivel past the first guide. It helps to have a longer rod for this, too, of course.

The uni to uni makes perfect sense for those applications, I guess I was just thinking slip bobber since I use vanish for that and don't need to cast too far. But I'm liking the idea of using a fluoro uni to uni leader for casting rather than the traditional. I know they say fluoro is more abrasion resistant, but if I were to use a fluoro liter how well do they hold up to pike? We go through a ton of pike when fishing eyes at devil's lake so my question is would a switch to a fluoro leader this year even be worth it or would I get bit off to the point where I'll just use a regular leader anyway? (without throwing on an extremely large diameter fluoro leader)

"We go through a ton of pike when fishing eyes at devil's lake"

i grew up in DL and take trips back as often as i can, so i hear ya there bout those norts.

fluoro is more abrasion resistant but norts will still be able to chew threw it. esp in the smaller #10-#12 that i normally use

i have experimented with heavier fluoro in the #20 range that has held up pretty well and has seemed not to affect the wally bite.

however, it'll get nicked up after a tussle with a nort and still have been bitten off from time to time. so check your leader often, but it has helped from losing rigs

sidenote,

I dont think there is anything those norts wont bite on in DL. just for giggles we've use plain shinny hooks and have caught them lol

I may give that a shot this year and just see how it compares, thank for the info. As far as your sidenote I have no problem believing that ha the pike are always extremely aggressive out there, it actually can get annoying when you have your sights set on some eyes!