• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ontario LOTW Camping

Thought it might be cool to do some exploring this summer on the Ontario side of LOTW. Wondering if anybody has any information on whether it is legal for a MN resident to camp on Ontario land.

Yep, there are restrictions on where you can and can't camp based on whether or not it's Crown Land or not, but all you need to do is buy a camping permet (one slip of paper per night camping per person) and you're good to go. Do a quick google on it and you should be able to come up with a number to call and get a brochure that tells you where you can camp. Have fun.

Scoot is partially right. A non-resident can camp on LOW on the Canadian side but, according to Ontario law, they must be 1/2 kilometer off any shoreline or road. That is roughly one quarter of a mile off shore so you will have to be camped in the boonies off a lake shore on a whopper of a big island. North of Kenora is much less restrictive if you want to camp.

fishnut2, where are you getting that information from? We've camped on LOW for about 40 years and been checked many times by Canadian officers on the water and in our camp. Not only is the info you said not consistent with what we've been told, it wasn't in the brochures I've gotten about camping on LOW, and none of the mounties in our camp have ever said a thing about it. Either your information is not accurate, it's one of those old outdated law/rule that aren't enforced, or all of the more than dozen mounties that have checked us don't care about it. I'm confident it's not the last of those three, so I assume it's one of the first two.

Yes, you can camp on Crown Land. Most of the islands in the lake (although not all) outside of Whitefish Bay are Crown Land. Check the link above for details. I don't think the 1/4 mile thing is correct...

We've been camping on a island on the west side of the lake for 30 years in the same spot and we are right on the water. Been checked a few times and never had anyone mention that law. I would highly recommend the camping. It's like going to the Boundary Waters but you can bring all the comforts of home with your larger boat. There are some great spots to camp up there. Some have picnic tables and fish cleaning spots. The key is a nice sand beach that has protection from the wind and a level spot for your tent. Also, smaller islands are better, less bears.

Great info all. Excited to explore a bit this summer.

Are their maps out there that show some of the regular camping spots - spots with picnic tables, etc? I'd like to find my own "secluded" spot eventually but it would be nice to have a proven spot in mind before heading out.