• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spinning reel for pike and cats?

mrpike1973

hi today my mitchell avocet combo died. it owes me nothing. i dont care for a baitcaster at all. looking for a reel tops of $60 i use it for pike and small cats 2#- 5# on the horseshoe chain any suggestions. oh sorry looking for a spinning reel.

I recommend a Okuma Avenger AFB "Bait Feeder". I would look at the 40 or 50 size. price is normally the same for either one. they are right around $42 to $45 depending on were you get it from. I would pair it with a shakespeare ulgy stick catfish spinning rod (wal mart has these(atleast the stores by me do) or they can be ordered from other places too).

my current set up is that rod with a shimano IX 4000(cheap but good reel for the size fish you are after). my next reel will be a Okuma in the 50 or 65 size. it would be a reel for my flathead spinning rod I plan to build this summer.

The Penn spinning reels are top quality. I have a fierce 4000 and it is amazing, I would prefer the spinfisher or battle, but for $50 you can not beat it. My dad has a model 103 that he has had for over 20 years, so they last a long time. He also just bought a pursuit 4000 that seems to be just as good quality as the fierce, the only difference is the fierce has all metal components that supposedly make it last longer. Shimano Sedona 3000 is another great reel, I had one, but gave it to my nefew. I recomend 3000 series reels or larger. 99.9% of fish wont even stip half the line off, but you will be buying a bigger reel when you fight that .1% fish for 45 minutes and if finally pulls your line and $15 lure out to the depths. That is personal experience, if only those fish hit when your geared for it. cry

Nothing wrong with pflueger presidents in the 30 or 35 size.

Ditto on the presidents. I've got one I bought a few years ago to be my "universal travel reel", it does a lot of things well. It fishes for bass, drowns bait for carp and cats, and even throws large spinners for both of MN's esox species. I bought it on sale, but would happily pay full price for another if my current one was stolen.

Love my sahara 2500. My pops just bought two more Sunday and I'll be getting another for a new combo as well, and with the new FEs I just like what they did with the color change to charcoal. When I bought mine last year they were in like a light purple crazy , hated the color but the reel was good enough to make me forget about it.