• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Split-Grip rods

BRULEDRIFTER

So, what's the deal with these? Increased sensitivity? Strictly for looks?

I'm in the market for some new rigs this season. Looked around the other day and it seems like they're the new fad, so I'm just curious as to what their all about.

Thanks

The origin behind the split grips was on very high end rods to lighten the rod by another 2/10oz or so. That may not seem like much but on a rod that is already under 4oz it is pretty big. Weight is the enemy when trying to stay on top of things in competition for 8 solid hours in often less than ideal conditions.

It has since morphed into a fashion statement to give lower end rods the upper end look.

One word of caution, if you're musky fishing I've heard the split-grips can be a pain in the ribs after a day of jerking those big baits in. The cork adds some cushion to the rod.

I think cork must be getting too expensive.

Yes the price of cork is what I was told was the reason. Then when one person likes them because of weight and looks, that just adds more reasons like wildfire so now you can say the purpose is from all these reasons.

I don't like the looks of them at all. In fact, I love Tennessee handles....lots of cork:) To each his own I guess. Even fishing long days I sure can't see a couple ounces of weight making any difference for the vast majority of fishermen.

I don't like the looks of them at all. In fact, I love Tennessee handles....lots of cork:) To each his own I guess. Even fishing long days I sure can't see a couple ounces of weight making any difference for the vast majority of fishermen.

I feel exactly the same.

I'd guess those metal reel seats out weight the couple cork rings you

save, been using the graphite tube Tennessee handles for a few years,

graphite bushings to graphite tube, can't get much lighter or more

sensitive than that. JMO

For the most part I don't like the feel of split grip rods. In some cases the butt end of the rod is too light and the rod doesn't balance with a reel. It is tip heavy. I recommend putting a reel on a rod before buying it. Another downside for me is when using two hands to make a long cast. My second hand ends up on bare rod blank or at the point where the blank and butt section merge and it feels uncomfortable.

The origin behind the split grips was on very high end rods to lighten the rod by another 2/10oz or so.

It has since morphed into a fashion statement to give lower end rods the upper end look.

I agree with this 100%.

I have a few high end split grip rods that I really like. Very lightweight, very comfortable, I use them for techniques where feel is important.

We also have a couple split grip rods that are not high end, I think they were about $75 each. I use one for spinnerbaits and my kid uses the other one for frogs and cranks. They are heavier rods and with them I don't have any preference over the split grip or the full cork handle ..... although my kid far prefers his split grip rod over the full cork handle rods he uses ..... seems like it fits his hand better than mine.