• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am looking to get a second gun. I already have a 22lr and a 30-06 and I am looking for something in the middle of the two. I would like it for varmits and to keep in the truck. It would also be nice to use as a back up deer rifle. What caliber do you recommend. I am thinking 243, but would like your opinions.

Thanks

Second the .243 and ad the .257. Be really fun to track down an old model 70 in one of those calibers and just shoot it and have a ball! Have a pal who used one for decades in AK and piled up a lot of meat with it. No.....he did NOT use if on the serious stuff.

It does depend on what type of country, and game you're planning on hunting...if it's all going to be in ND, you may consider a few more options...the 243 is a good all around choice...the 257 is also universal, but you do have a few more options in both calibers, depending on the terrain..the 240 weatherby mag and the 257 weatherby mag will both give you alot of added distance over the standard calibers...if if long range is not your forte, either of those standard calibers will serve you well, and if you want to open up your long range options for the varimints...the 220 swift or 22-250 would also be good choices...both are very capbable of knocking down whitetails, muleys and antelopes within 200 yards, (and much farther, in the hands of someone who knows thier gun).

Oooooooooo.....gotta disagree regarding the 22-250 for deer. Yes, yes...I know it can be done. But you're shooting awfully light and awfully fast for that animal-especially if its a big bodied buck whitetail or mule deer. Not to mention shooting in heavy cover.

I think you owe it to the animal to use something a little more substantial.

But the 22.250 will turn a crow into a black haze at 200 yards, thats for sure.

I think I am going to get a 243. I am looking at the remington 700 sps stainless. What do you recommend, I really want a stainless barrel and synthetic stock, due to the fact that it will spend a lot of time in the truck. I am all ears.

You can't go wrong with a .243, or a .257 Roberts. Maybe throw in the .25-06, too? Or if you go a little heavier than the middle of the road, how about a 6.5 x 55mm Swedish? Have fun shopping for whatever you end up buying.

243 is a great truck gun. I love 700s but if it was specifically a truck gun I'd look at the Ruger American. A little smaller & easier to get in & out when that yote's running away from the pickup. Pretty much all the calibers listed would be great. I'd say .243 or 25-06 for ammo accessibility. I keep my 25-06 in my pickup and it'll kill deer, yotes, prairie dogs, skunks and everything else that moves within 500 yds easily.

I have these guns and anyone would work well. All very accurate and fun to shoot. My overall most accurate and fun to shoot is my .223. the 223 will kill deer but I would not use one but I have used a 243.

25-06

6mm is also a fun gun and great for a bit larger animal.

Man! That is terrific. Skunks and dogs out to 500 yards! Jeeeez....at that distance I find it hard to even see a skunk or a dog.

You hav'um eyes like Eagle Dead Eye. Ha Ha Ha!

Optics good sir! A good set of binocs & a decent scope are worth their weight in gold.

I agree with Harvey, anything in 6mm (aka .243) is great. I just like the 25-06 (6.5mm) cuz it has a little more oomph. They're all good choices. I think you should find the gun you like, close your eyes & pick a caliber.

5.56 Nato Ar-15 (.223) hard to beat the fun out of this gun. Great gun to scope and hunt with too. The ammo is not as hard to find as some people make it out to be...most of those people are city dwellers. Never thought about owning one until all the talk now I am happy to have one. If you need one PM me I know who has them.

Please share where you're finding 5.56!!! I've checked every sporting goods store from Williston to Minneapolis (3 in Williston, Scheels & WalMart in Minot, gander in Fargo, fleet farm in Alexandria, cabelas & 2 ganders in the metro) & can only find $25/box hunting rounds.

I second or third the AR-style in either .223 or .243.

.223 is a bit hard to come by in volume at reasonable prices but it will be sooner or later. Likely you can find .243 fairly easy, but it's going to cost a fair bit more in the long run if you're popping off lots of rounds.