• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First choice of call type for Turkeys if you could only pick pne?

laker1

I love my boxcall and when the wind is howling there's no better option. Butg I use then all and have killed birds with all mentioned thus far.

As far as movement goes it's not been an issue for me as I set up so then when I see the bird he's already in range and rarely call when the bird is close unless I need to reposition him.

I've had excellent result with some soft leave scratching to close the deal when they are close but still out of sight.

Love my slate! Killed a lot of birds with it. Gave up on hulking a box call around years ago. I do carry a custom made hatchet call, kind of a small version of a box. Use diamphrams, but find myself using them less and less. Slate cal to get them coming hard and then silence or a little leaf scratching to close the deal... I tended to use the diaphram to close the deal, but I think i was just helping the gobbler to pin point ME! I still use and believe in decoys... but you gotta buy very detailed decoys. I have been burned in my early years with poor quality decoys. Now I have hens pick fights with my DSD hen and I think I am going to get the jake this year as well... When I know the bird is close I quiet down and let them 'look' for me. When they see the decoy they usually come in hard and fast!

good Luck!

Ken

box call is my best call to have out there. Even though I'm good with the mouth calls. The box works great for more distance in the wind and sound. I have many nothces on the bottom the box call. Going to have to move to the side wall soon no more room. Make a notch for every bird called in an harvested with it. but I have all calls in the vest always a time and place for them.

As much as I love turkey hunting and as much as I've hunted, once in a while I wonder why I never tried a mouth call. Anyway, mine is an HS Strut glass pot and peg call. Has worked great and even though there is some movement involved I've always been able to seal the deal. Like someone said, when they're that close, I'm usually done calling. smile Good Luck.

All I can say is that chalk or slate $ucks in the rain! whistle

They work pretty good when you sitting in the blind and I've used mine out in the open in the rain. I just call and tuck it away somewhere dry between calls. Acrylic or carbon strikers work pretty well even on a wet slate. Wood strikers don't.

if i had to pick one, it would be a diaphragm, hands down (get it grin)

you can make all the calls on a diaphragm and a lot of times i've had them hang up but a soft cluck, yelp or purr on a mouth call will bring him those final few steps into range without risking movement with another call.

and if it looks to be rainy, i will leave my vest and the $$$ calls in the truck and head out with only 3 or 4 mouth calls and a tube call.

but ... i'd guess i have had as many toms commit to slate-type calls as mouth calls with box calls a distant third.