• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rural Internet

crazyzoe

we've had Wild Blue for sometime now and are quite pleased with it. It's reliable enough. We do loose a signal during 60 MPH winds and blizzards, etc. It only 45 bucks a month and sure beats dial up. We do keep an account with AOL for backup with dial-up if we loose the sat signal. However, the service is alittle dicey as they do not have techs in all areas. Our has to come out of Nebraska or the Sioux Falls area.

Del not a real web developer, more of an infrastructure guy so I am not totally sure how the app would send a request. I would assume the request would be sent as web browser reads the page, I doubt it would need to wait for an acknowledgement(ack) before sending another. But again not totally sure about that.

TCP does use ack to be sure all the packets in a download to be sure the entirety of data was received. But not the same as this. If something seems out a of place it the missing packets will be resent.

As a hardware guy, I know less than you do. Just wondering how to tell whether the long latency would be a big deal.

It depends on how it is used. If you are web browsing, I don't see it as that bad. There will be a lag from the time you click until the data stream starts. Once it starts you won't notice the lag.

Real time stuff like video conferencing/VoIP/Skype type of apps will the the most noticeable. There will be lags/stutters that you will notice.