• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinner Bait Trailers

joe55398

Do you guys use trailers for your spinner baits? I always do but my fishing partner usually doesn't. Is one way better than the other? Also I usually but a twister tail over the trailer hook matching the color of the bait. Is there any thing else that I should consider?

Thanks for the input.

If only there was a secret weapon that worked all the time. Personally, I've used just about every plastic that own as a trailer at some point. Frogs, worms, twister tails etc....I don't think there is anything that is off limits. Don't be afraid to try different things and see what works that day.

My favorite trailer to use is a 8 inch ribbon tail powerworm.

Welcome to HSO Joe,

I personally use big grubs or twin tail grubs. Also have some Spinnerbait trailers YUM makes that are good as well. But you can really play with anything you want for a trailer. I sometimes use them and othertimes as far as a trailer hook goes I don't do it as I can get a lot of gullet hooked fish that way.

Yeah any trailer to add a little bit of extra, different action. Trailers may add scent as well (not that it matters much on reaction strikes)

Most of the time that I use a trailer I am using it because I want a bigger bait profile.

You know, I almost never add a trailer. Seems like the water I'm on if you add a twister tail or something, the pike like your spinnerbait even more than they normally do - if that's possible. In clear water I don't want a big profile to begin with most of the time anyhow.

I guess I will add one once in a while slow rolling spinnerbaits in the fall, and it's usually a grub or just a plain jig trailer. But day to day something I rarely add.

I rarely use a trailer with mine, though I'll put one on occasionally if I'm convinced I'm in a fishy spot but haven't got any strikes on the plain spinner.

Without question I've caught bigger fish without a trailer than with, though that could well just be a coincidence.

I almost always add a trailer to my spinners, have had real good luck with the gulp pearl colored ones but I also throw a lot of spinners using paddle tails as trailers. I shorten the bodies up so just the paddle tail is just past the skirt, lots of action with that combo.

Going along with EBass, I like the idea of a hook but don't prefer a trailer. That said, missing hook ups on a spinnerbait is frustrating. Anyone ever try throwing a treble off the primary hook?