• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Varmint classification

So Geese may be added to the list pesky varmints if this gets through the legislature! grin

Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2012, section 97B.655, subdivision 1, is amended to read:

Subdivision 1. Owners and occupants may take certain animals. A person may take mink, squirrel, rabbit, hare, raccoon, bobcat, fox, opossum, muskrat, geese, or beaver on land owned or occupied by the person where the animal is causing damage.

The person may take the animal without a license and in any manner except by poison, or artificial lights in the closed season. Raccoons may be taken under this subdivision with artificial lights during open season. A person that kills mink, raccoon, bobcat, fox, opossum, muskrat, geese, or beaver under this subdivision must notify a conservation officer or employee of the Wildlife Division within 24 hours after the animal is killed.

think about it...if you had a dozen geese in your yard, eating your garden tomatoes, corn, beans, etc...and they were crapping on the path that led to your gazebo to the point you had to wear rubber boots to get to it...would you be ready to take a few, or all or them out of the equasion? ...it's the same old, same old...if the wolfs ain't eating my cat or dog...it's ok...but if they become some other kind of pest...we gotta get em outa here! Personally, I think it's only right... we all should have a right to protect our property from whatever kind of pests we encounter...I just think it's stupid that, if that is the case, we should have to contact the DNR, and waste time that could be spent on something more important than nusience animals no matter what they are!

So, here's a scenario...

Me..."officer, I shot a goose that was eating my tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, garlic and herbs."

CO...."when did you shoot it?"

Me...."about 12 hours ago"

CO...."where is the goose now?"

Me...."in the crock-pot, with the tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, garlic and herbs that it destroyed."

CO..."your were supposed to call."

Me..."I am...it was less than 24 hours since I killed the goose, and your instuctions didn't say anything about what I could, or could not do with the goose in the meantime." laughgrin

Me..."the goose will be ready at 6 if you really need to come by and pick it up...but just so you know...I just added some rabbit, raccoon and opposom meat to the pot...The rabbit was eating my carrots and the coon and possim were eating the guts of the goose...IMO, that was just not right...All of it should be well done well within your 24 hour timeline....and If you have co-workers or friends, they are welcome also."

Cool, my buddy has cornfields north of rochester. We have geese by the tens of thousands around here. so he would be able to take them with nets, punt guns, traps, live decoys, flypaper, etc.

Actually wild turkeys do damage too. They aren't too delicate when they fly into a cornfield.