• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Starting Out...

NowthenJoe

Hey Guys,

I decided to make it a goal to learn how to fly fish this year. I purchased a 6 weight RLS+ combo from Cabela's this winter while it was on sale and have been practicing as much as I can getting the casting down just on the Mississippi in Elk River. I have a pair of hip waders as well.

I will be heading down to the Northwest Ill, mid April most likely and would like to try my luck at a few of SouthWest MN's trout streams.

I likely won't be spending too much time fishing, but would like to at least know that where I am fishing has an opportunity to land something.

I am not looking for any secret holes or spots, just a general idea of where a good starting point would be for some browns, brooks or rainbows. I plan on taking 52 down through Rochester.

Thanks for any and all help,

Joe

I think you meant the Southeast part of Minnesota. But in case you didn't, definitely do not go to SW MN if you want to trout fish. You'll be sorely disappointed.

As for finding streams, check out this link from the DNR. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/trout_streams/south_mn_maps.html

Basically, throw a dart at a map and fish the stream. Most of the streams here in SE MN have a good population of trout. This is especially true in any the Root River, and Whitewater watersheds.