• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinnerbait configurations

JoeTC

The bait bug has bitten me with this long winter and I'm thinking of ordering some new spinnerbaits. What's your favorite blade and weight combinations for largemouth and smallmouths color and brand aside? Willows, colorados, tandem, single? 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 or 3/4? Just want to hear what you've found success with.

Joe

Mine range from 1/8 to 1/2. Got to have a few single colorados, but mostly tandem willow blades. I do mix blade colors, and skirt colors. I love to add several strands of red to my white skirts! smile

I bet 95% of the time I throw a double willow. I fish spinnerbaits very fast most of the time, and in clear water I just do better on double willows. I usually change the back blades on most off the shelf spinnerbaits to the next size down (from a #5 to a #4) so I can run it faster without it popping out of the water. I have really gotten to like the Strike King Burner spinnerbaits because the willow leaf blades they have are narrower than normal, so they stay down really well even burning them.

They're usually 1/2 oz, but I will occasionally use a 3/8 oz for a smaller profile.

I will occasionally use a single spin with a Colorado in cold water, or after dark. I will also use a 1/2 or even 3/4 oz single spin willow leaf

slow rolling weed flats in the fall.

I usually use a 3/8 oz spinnerbait. I switch between willow and colorado blades depending on what they seem to want that day. I do use a 1/2oz once in awhile if I want to get it a little deeper or use a bigger blade.

Get yourself some Northstar Custom Baits, compact series. Nice compact design, 3 willow blades, great color combos to match the forage, made locally, and reasonably priced.

Their spring sale started today and I just ordered 11 new spinnerbaits and including a couple compact tri willow models. Great deal especially if you get the extra 10% off through their fb page.

Joe