• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vikes 2013 Draft

FutbolGuru

The one thing I am wondering about is how in the world are they going to pay 3 first rounders?

Pfft on the character issues. By the sounds of it Floyd is lucky he amounted to anything because of his home life. Eerily similar to that of Michael Oher. Father in and out of jail, raised by grandparents and then adopted.

Yeah, lets rip a kid who obviously had little chance with no father in the picture. He's gone through a lot. Immensely talented.

He probably wont start game 1 (because Williams is around), but I bet the other two first rounders get a lot of time out of the gate.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last CBA changed the salary structure of first rounders. It's why we see so many trades, drafting in round 1 is not so expensive salary wise as it once was. The Vikes should have plenty of cap room for their picks and a few mid to low priced veteran castoffs.

The same guys wanted Blackmon rather than Kalil last year. They couldn't believe the vikings traded up for a safety. And couldn't believe the vikings drafted a kicker in the 6th round.

+1. Last year was fantastic.

First two 2013 picks, I am quite pleased with. Patterson is a little more of a question mark, but I will trust Spielman on this one. He does complement Jennings and Wright some, but it may take a season or two to polish him up.

We still have a huge issue at linebacker. There won't be talent there at rd 4, so we have to either trade players to move up or pick up a freeagent. Not a big fan of this, but Urlacher for a year until we can draft a future kid? Any other free agent LB's?

The same guys wanted Blackmon rather than Kalil last year. They couldn't believe the vikings traded up for a safety. And couldn't believe the vikings drafted a kicker in the 6th round.
Yeah, I guess they were right because NONE Of those guys had ANY impact last year. LOL

I will admit, my eyes opened a bit when I saw we picked a kicker, but that sure turned out great last year.

Floyd: From Florida, has character issues, and fell through the first round into the Vikings lap.

Sound familiar?

Randy Moss, maybe? The kid who came in and created the best offense the NFL had ever seen? The most talented receiver, ever? It does sound familiar, you are right for once LMIT, it was a great pick! We had the best day at the draft, by far. As of right now, the Vikings 5 year plan is blowing the cheeseheads out of the water. SKOL VIKINGS.

I see lmits garbage hasn't changed. I decided to check the football forum for the first time in months, and quickly remembered why I stopped looking here. The rest of you guys can have fun with it.....

Sorry, I couldn't understand what you were saying with all the purple kool-aid gurgling out of your mouth.

Great draft so far. Floyd is a NO BRAINER with 23. He is a sure thing top 5 talent. Get him in the locker room with the vets and I think we got an absolute steal with this one. I honestly don't know too much about Rhodes. But from what I hear, he is a very decent DB. And then to move back into the first and get Patterson, I think that is something that is going to work out great. He is a fast, shifty WR. Something we really need after losing Harvin.

And honestly, what did we lose by getting back into the first by trading a few picks away? Can anyone who says that New England pulled the rug out from under us, really say that ANY of those picks turn out to be ANYTHING? I guess there is a chance that a 2nd rounder, 4th rounder and 7th rounder turn out to be starters in the league, but really, what are the chances? And no, I don't need a list of post 1st round picks that have started in the NFL, so don't bother to put together a list.

This draft is one of the weakest in terms of talent in a while. I think the Vikings got great value in what they traded and what they got.

Obviously the Vikings are trend setters and the rest of the league follows their lead. Last year they were ridiculed for picking an offensive lineman with the 4th pick. This year 3 of the 1st 4 picks are offensive tackles just like last years Vikings. Next year after those teams go 10 and 6 and make the playoffs look for them to try to get 3 picks late in the 1st round.

The success of last year's draft cannot be argued. What's yet to be known is whether that was incredible luck, a fluke, or whether this current brain trust really is as good as it looks. The Pat's talent trust has been great over last 10+ years but this game evolves, and the Vikes team might just prove to be even better. All the Friday morning pundits here can have their fun but nobody will really know until after these guys are on the field next season.

We certainly didn't give the "farm" to NE for Patterson...we basically gave them our 3rd and 4th round picks to move up an entire round. We still have another 4th and 2 other 7th rounders...not to mention a 5 and 6 for depth.

Patterson will be "raw" for awhile but Ricky filled three positions of need with one player...WR, KR, and PR. Get the ball in his hands and let him make the plays everybody says he's able to make. His size and speed alone will get a safety off the LOS immediately...giving AP and our running game yet another advantage.

If they can somehow get either Kiko Alonso, AJ Klein, or Bostic with the remaining picks that would be awesome. Any of the three could be day one starters at MLB.

The rest of the picks will be depth positions/special teamers at OL, CB,LB, S and such.

Three day one starters in the 1st round...hard to argue with that!

Kenjon Barner in the 5th would be icing on the cake!!!

AGREED! Id rather have 3 first rounders then a 1st, second and third any day... plus we still have a 4th anyway. I really like the picks. I wanted a cb and mlb, but cant complain about a DT instead. Rhodes looks like a stud to me, reminds me of Cromartie from the jets. Patterson may be raw but he is probably already better then anything we have on roster besides Jennings and will help on kick return immediatly. Now its just a matter of who is gonna play MLB....

Sorry for not blindly loving every pick the Vikes made. Didn't realize that being critical of a decision means that I should not even follow the vikings. There are 2 reasons I am not saying the vikings had the best draft in history like the rest of you, and they both revolve around Patterson.

1. He has one route he can run, and it happens to be one that our quarterback cannot throw, at all.

2. Giving up that much for what is termed a "project" is risky. The vikes do not exactly have a great track record with unpolished "project" wide receivers. A couple scouting reports I have read give him a pretty decent chance at being a bust due to his lack of work ethic, and if you listened to any of the interviews with him, it is pretty obvious he thinks he is already an outstanding wide receiver at any level.

Carry on with the back slapping and high fiving each other.

Better purple look aid than the utter horse carp constantly falling from your mouth lmit.

And creep, I'll continue to have faith in the GM that had a great draft last year and turned 3 wins into 10 over a guy on fishingmn who wants to critique Patterson. Sorry bro......

This is my take from the other side of the river. I think the Vikes got some real good players with potential but I wouldn't overlook giving up those early mid round picks. Those are the guys you take shots on and hope to hit it big. They are also the ones that provide depth in case injuries bite or someone doesn't pan out. Most of the guys who go in the 2-4 range don't have the "measurables" that they draft nuts talk about. It doesn't mean they aren't good ball players. I'd rather plug in a 3rd round rookie than a 7th. He might get beat but he won't get torched. Through the 3rd, you're looking at the best 100 players draft eligible in the country.

Let's revisit and measure how these guys look in a couple years. It might be better, might be worse.

It's simply amazing how one can relish swimming in life with the glass half empty.

A realist understands that the glass isn't half empty or half full, but rather that it's twice as big as it needs to be.

Patterson looks to be a bigger version of Harvin without the migraines (to the Vikings) Jennings can teach this kid the ins and outs of the professional game. We know the guy can catch the ball, run with the ball, and hang on to the ball. I like those fundamentals, I just hope we can keep him in 4 years when he is all pro.

Right on James, they are the same guys rippin on last yrs draft. Saying LT isn't a priority in the NFL, and we are dumb for moving up for that safety, and the kicker was a total waste of a pick. Good humor

Can any of you ladies that always put up the 1st round draft grades and the teams that have the best steals of the 1st round post some of those up for us? Thanks