• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Opener Lake Vermilion

joe55398

This has been the longest winter ever and I cant wait for opener. I have been going to a friends cabin on the west side of lake vermilion since 1999 and it's probably my favorite place on the planet. For the last 10+ years we have pretty much fished the West end around wakemup bay where the early season walleye fishing is spotty at best. This year I got a new (to me) boat and were heading to the east end. I know we could have trailer-ed the boats over to the east end but we always had lots of fun (and cocktails) near the cabin. This year I want to catch a limit. Any suggestion on where to go or what techniques will work.

Thanks in advance for any tips

Might get a better response in the Vermilion forum.

Best bet with an expected late ice out is Pike Bay, if it's even open to fishing. The DNR has been known to close it on late ice outs.

Also Stuntz is a good place, well protected. Probably Armstrong Bay or Mud Creek Bay.

If we suddenly see 80's and the ice is out by the end of April then all things will change. laugh

All of the spots mentioned will produce walleyes on the opener.

I Like to fish deeper water myself. 24' to 36' is my preferred depths.

Lindy or jigs with minnows is usually what I use the first few weeks of the season.

Crank baits will also put walleyes in the livewell.

Cliff

I have a hunch that Pike bay will be closed this year due the late ice. If that happens I would recommend fishing right at the line where Pike Bay meets Big Bay.  Because Pike Bay is closed there won’t be very many boats in that area, and all the fish in the lake will pass through those narrows heading out to the main lake basin from doing their spawning in the river. You will have a good shot of ambushing them.

It will be an opener you will never forget. wink  grin

It will certainly be something that you will never forget though!! grin

Cliff

Like scraping ice pellets off the depth finder screen throughout the day, or

brushing the snow of the dock/boat before heading out, or

removing ice pellet from your reel throughout the day.

Vermilion openers are always a treat. laugh

Haven't been to one in a few years but will be up either Wed or Thurs after opener.