• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cast Nets?

mamba

Just read thru this thread, and I'd just like to say Thank You! Thanks for putting together this great work group, and thanks for diligently working with the appropriate agencies to iron out some regulation issues, and better our sport as a whole!

I'm glad you guys are there for us! smile

Can you use cast nets in Wisconsin?

Here you go. Everything you wanted to know about Wisconsin bait harvest regulations:

WI Spearing, Netting and Bait Harvest Regulation 2012 - 2013

Here is the short answer to your question about using cast nets in Wisconsin taken from their regulation:

Wisconsin/Iowa boundary waters: Spearing Season: Continuous open season. Cast nets no larger than 7 feet in diameter or mesh of more than 1/2” stretch measure may be used to take suckers only.

so from what I could find out cast nets in Wisconsin are only legal on the Iowa / Wisconsin border waters.

I'd like to see cast nets to become legal in MN. Of course there has to be all the regulations put on them regarding infested waters and what not. But why not make them legal to use as long as whatever bait you catch in them you have to use in that body of water? I go to college in IL and although I do enjoy going out and catching bait on a rod when I have time, it's extremely convenient to be able to go to your fishing spot and catch bait there if you run out or don't have time to go catch other bait. With well placed throws you can catch a lot more bait a lot faster than any other method. Plus you can get species that are difficult or not possible to catch on a rod, such as shad, shiner, sucker, goldfish, or buffalo. Of course many of the species of bait I target with my nets in IL aren't legal to use in MN, but they would be nice so we can get shad.