• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin Looks to Allow Trolling on All Lakes.

Quote:

Details on trolling proposal:

Several DNR fisheries proposals seek to simplify regulations statewide, including a proposal to allow trolling as a method for fishing on all inland waters. Among other benefits, allowing trolling on all inland waters would eliminate confusion about where this fishing technique is allowed, would provide more fishing opportunities for anglers who may have difficulty fishing by other methods, and would allow moving boats to trail behind suckers or minnows while anglers are casting (a form of trolling) on all waters. DNR studies have found that there are no significant differences in angler catch rates or the average length of kept muskies in lakes with and without trolling.

Um, allow Trolling? You mean they couldn't pull a rap around on some lakes in Wis? confused

Yep, lots of muskey lakes and a few entire counties don't allow trolling.

Since I have never fished Wis, I guess that I have never heard that. It just seems so odd? Not sure what I would do in the evenings all summer or deep speed trolling during late summer if I couldn't do some trolling? shocked

Yeah, this has been a confusing mess since I can remember. Some lakes would only allow "back" trolling, while other's allowed regular trolling. As long as I can troll on the winnebago system, I'm happy, but I know alot of musky guys that will like to hear this too, and obviously some that won't. Like I say, the K.I.S.S theory is always the best option.

Its a musky deal. It was a provision back in the day to protect muskies and to protect musky guides who did row trolling. No need to hire a guide when you could just fire up the evinrude.

I don't know what purpose it serves now except confusion. You can bet your last dollar that a WI warden would give you a ticket for it if they could.

I live in Michigan and fish MN for a month each September. I love to fish northern WI but kinda gave it up because of the no trolling laws. We do all catch and release and troll almost exclusively. The open to trolling would help the businesses that cater to fisherman and the tourist industry. Should have no effect on kill rates. Best to all, hope the law is changed. WI is a beautiful state with good people.