• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep cycle vs. spiral cell

MrBig

Question

OK, I need a new deep cycle battery again. I think it's been asked before, but would you by the traditional deep cycle or go with the Minn Kota or Optimal spiral cell battery for twice the cost? Does anyone have experience with these? If the Optimal has 124 minute reserve and another battery has a 200 minute reserve, will the 200 minute last longer on one charge? Opener is almost here!

3 answers to this question

You need to look at what amp draw the reserve minutes are rated at, manafacturers love to play with numbers. The new batteries are getting better every year. But they tend to get damaged easier from improper charging. Dollar for dollar I feel the best bet is to stay with a goot flooded cell battery, charge it after every use and in a couple years see how the battery market is then.

Rob

Thanks Rob! I'll probably stick with the flooded cell battery. I've used several brands of batteries over the years, and they all seem to be about the same. What have you had success with? And what should I look for from the "amp draw" rating? Is this information listed on the battery? Can you please explain this further??

[This message has been edited by MrBig (edited 05-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by MrBig (edited 05-01-2001).]

The reserve capacity of a battery is rated with a load drawing 25 amps off the battery how long it can sustain that load in minutes.
Some batteries are rated on the label with a different load, the Minnkota 20 battery states it will last 20 hours at a 20 amp draw. So be sure to read all of the info on a label, to compare apples to apples.

Rob