• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hi Tate, welcome. Agate hunting is a most wonderful hobby. Your rock there seems to weigh 20 something pounds. I could tell you with 80% certainty just from the weight measurement that it is not a Lake Superior agate. Some agates do commonly get that big such as Brazilian agates, but Lake Superior Agate rarely ever get that big; but they do, and I have seen a 30lb lake superior before. Anything that big would be worth an automatic fortune. Most Agates you will find will be in the 0.1-6oz range. Anything half-pound and up is a good size for lake superior agates. But its not always about size either. Some of my favorite/best agates are smaller and unique with beautiful colors and patterns... Anyways your rock is not an Agate from what I can tell. Maybe Chert. Keep looking though! Take a look at the LSA thread here for some examples of Agates.

Welcome Tate! Its not a laker but it would look nice in the rock garden. Lots of nice looking rocks out there. I know of one thats as big as my truck...just need cash to get it home grin