• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which line for jigging?

jmg

Once again, it's that time of year to decide on the type of line to spool on for walleye jiggin'. I know this topic has been thrashed through before, but the choices are getting to be mind boggling. Used to be the hardest choice was Trilene XL or Stren Orig. Right now I spooled on 6# 100% fluorocarbon and hope it works well. But, someone just told me I should use Sufix Braid or Nanofil or Fireline instead with a fluoro leader. I hesitate after having cut my fingers too manytimes with small dia. superlines when hung up in rocks, etc. before remembering to use something besides my finger to break off when snagged. I know everybody has his or her favorite so maybe I should ask what shouldn't I use?

This rod/reel is mostly used for pitching or dragging jigs, like up on Leech. Thoughts?

I personally love fishing mono for a lot of different applications. Some guys preach that you "need" a braid in order to detect bites, but I don't think I am losing that much sensitivity when fishing a mono. I recently got hooked on the Sufix Elite and I have yet to have a fish break the line (knock on wood). For pitching jigs, the Hi Vis Yellow is very easy to watch and detect pickups from fish. The knot strength is very good for a mono and it has a higher break point than the printed lb test. It has very little memory and is very abrassion resistant. I would rather spend the money on 3 spools of line and get very similar results than pay the same price as a braid where you get less line per spool.

With all of that said, braid does have its place in a lot of the techniques that I use, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary to catch fish.

I also like the trilene xl in 6 and 8 lb but i like trilene xl armor coat as it seems to be much more abrasion resistant and have less memory

0323130848a_zps12fc11e8.jpg

and it seems to hold up good with this 40inch flathead caught last weekend at redwing jigging with 8lb trilene armor coat

I used braid for a few years and like being able to feel better but I noticed I had more drops with finiky fish because I think they were feeling me and from reactionary hooksets that were ripping the jig out of their mouth. I tried many different mono's and the one I like the best is Stren Magnathin 8lb.

I also like the trilene xl in 6 and 8 lb but i like trilene xl armor coat as it seems to be much more abrasion resistant and have less memory

0323130848a_zps12fc11e8.jpg

and it seems to hold up good with this 40inch flathead caught last weekend at redwing jigging with 8lb trilene armor coat

they dont fight.much when dormant...

I used braid for a few years and like being able to feel better but I noticed I had more drops with finiky fish because I think they were feeling me and from reactionary hooksets that were ripping the jig out of their mouth. I tried many different mono's and the one I like the best is Stren Magnathin 8lb.

I found that I had to adjust my hooksets with braid and flouro because of the lack of stretch. A better option might be to switch to a lighter rod that will bend more on the hood set to keep people from ripping the jig out.

Just makes everything more sensitive.

Trilene XL 6# in low vis green for me. I tried braids and wasn't hooking as many so I experimented one day and fished a couple hours with braid and caught fish vs bites and then switched spools to mono. I don't remember the numbers but my hooking success was better with mono.

I think my answer to your post would be what kind of rod are you using? with the advancements in line, one can buy a mid level rod ($85-$120) and use braid to have an all out awesome walleye jigging rod, but braid in that situation is the best option. Now on the other side of the spectrum if your using a loomis or high end croix, or even a full out custom, mono is more than enough to "feel" that bite.

I personally prefer the characteristics of flourocarbon. gives the no stretch of braid and the suppleness of mono and it is also translucent like a mono.

I like the question of what kind of rod you using? ML and you have mono on there it tends to be fishing with a limp noodle, but then again you got a stiff rod with braid you will rip quite a few jigs out the mouths of some fish, so for me depends all on the action of the rod. My rod is 66medfast which has some good flex to it so braid it is for me. But then my pitching jig rod is longer and a little stiffer with the xfast tip so I got mono on that. I think if you figure out what TYPE of line to use it at least narrows the scope to just which brand.

I like mono for jigging. I have tried braided line several times for jigging for walleyes and I have always went back to mono. I feel I miss too many fish as compared with mono. I also agree that mono is plenty sensitive.

My go to line the last couple of years has been Gamma. It is a Coploymer line that is really tough and is also limp enough to be very good while fishing live bait. I use 6 Lb ultra clear. I really like it.

My jigging rods al have mono. If you feel you are losing sensitivity, maybe a more semsitive rod will work better.

I love braid for many applications but not for jigging.

Good rod, reel with a great drag and set properly and you will not lose many fish. Boated a 22# pike on this set up, just had to lighten the drag.

6# Suffix.

I like mono for jigging. I have tried braided line several times for jigging for walleyes and I have always went back to mono. I feel I miss too many fish as compared with mono. I also agree that mono is plenty sensitive.

Interesting comments. Why do you feel you miss fish using braided?

In response to this thread question, I like to use braided line (8# Fireline) with a fluorocarbon leader.

Bob, I think people often miss fish with braids cause there is no line stretch upon the hook set. Hence, a quick, firm hookset often just pulls the hooks right outta the fish's mouth.

I've tried Trilene, many years ago, several different times, and it seemed to have such horrendously poor spool memory, and it was really stiff. Perhaps it's gotten better?

I've always used Stren 6 lb. clear blue Mono for almost everything. It's inexpensive, and it's supple and forgiving. Easy to break off in merciless snags, but plenty enough tensile strength to land even the biggest fish if you play them accordingly.

Probably goes against the grain a bit, but I really appreciate a little line stretch. I don't often depend on a drag system to help me land a fish. Had them lock up and fail to often to count. I prefer to back reel, along with a little drag if needed. A little line stretch is really helpful with landing a really big fish as well.

I've used both mono and braid, and I still use both. I think it depends on the specific rod you're using it with. I'll give you 2 examples-

I have a 6'3" M X-fast St Croix Avid that I prefer mono. I've used braid with this set up and I just feel that I've missed more fish with power-pro and 832. I feel I do better with this rod when jigging with Suffix Elite or Gamma. I always use 6#

I have a 6'6" Shimano Crucial ML Fast that I use 10# braid with a floro leader. With this rod I don't seem to ever miss fish like would with the Avid and I feel like I do much better with the braid. Actually, I put nanofill on half way through last year and I've been happy with that too.

Long story short- I think it can really depend on the specific set up.

Around here with the water clarity, I use eiter sufix 832 or powder pro in 6lb.

Up north (park rapids area) I use Trilene 100% flouro, usually 8lb, no matter if I'm pulling spinners or jigging. I will sometimes put on a flouro leader on my other rods with power pro or 832, but have had better luck with straight flouro up there.

Bob, I think people often miss fish with braids cause there is no line stretch upon the hook set. Hence, a quick, firm hookset often just pulls the hooks right outta the fish's mouth.

Oh, I see. I guess we have to be willing to learn new techniques. I have learned to use my braided line and now if I go back, I admit it would take a little while to get used to reefing on the rod to take up all the slack. Once I started using the Fireline and got used to it, I feel awkward using mono. Another advantage I find with the braided line is that the knots don't weaken over time like they do with mono. Since mono stretches, every time you put pressure on the knot (fighting fish, hangups, and such) the line stretches in the knot making it thinner and therefore weaker. With braided superlines this does not happen.

I've tried Trilene, many years ago, several different times, and it seemed to have such horrendously poor spool memory, and it was really stiff. Perhaps it's gotten better?

My previous line of choice was Trilene XL. XT is a little better abraision resistant but it is also stiffer. XT is softer but more prone to nicks and wear.

I've always used Stren 6 lb. clear blue Mono for almost everything. It's inexpensive, and it's supple and forgiving. Easy to break off in merciless snags, but plenty enough tensile strength to land even the biggest fish if you play them accordingly.

True that. Like rifle caliber is not that important as shot placement, proper fish playing can be more important than line strength.

Probably goes against the grain a bit, but I really appreciate a little line stretch. I don't often depend on a drag system to help me land a fish. Had them lock up and fail to often to count. I prefer to back reel, along with a little drag if needed. A little line stretch is really helpful with landing a really big fish as well.

I'm in the same boat as you with regard to drags. I rarely use a drag unless a fish makes an unpredictable high speed run. I much more prefer to back reel and I have better control and confidence in it. Drags heat up and as they do the result changes the amount of drag on the line.

Nanofill 8-10#. In stained water, no leader. Clear water throw on an 8# fluoro leader. I have always used non-stretch line, so I have adjusted my hookset to accommodate for the lack of stretch. It's well worth it for the increase in sensitivity, no matter what kind of rod you're using.

It's been fun watching all the responses to my question. Sure are a lot of different ideas about the perfect line, which is good for the manufacturers. I guess I will keep my reel spooled with the 6# fluoro and see how I like it. The rod I'm using is a ML - kind of-it's a GL2, 6'10" Loomis in the lighter drop shot model. Deitz picked it out for me at the sportshow. Can't wait to try it. Last year I had a Jason Mitchell 7'ML with 6# Sensation on it, which was ok, but with the chronic wrist, hand, nerve condition I have, it just didn't seem to give me the same sensation I could feel as I had when using my brother's Loomis. So-we'll see. Lots of excellent choices out there. Thanks to all who responded. 5 Weeks to go!