• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"We're #1" Official Site

DonBo

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome bird! Congrats to you guys! I didn't get out this weekend at all. I had to chaperone prom on Friday night and Saturday morning called for some pretty cold temps, so I felt like sleeping in. Saturday night took the wife out so no go on that evening. Thought about going out yesterday, but it was a cold rainy day, so I spent the day in the shed getting the boat all ready for when the weather finally allows me to get out. Now I sit here in study hall watching it rain, with a chance of 5" of snow. Hopefully we get a nice day this week where I can get an evening hunt in. Keep getting after em guys! 57, nobles county is a mess! I was in Ellsworth the weekend after the storm helping clean up trees at my brothers place and parents place. I think that the county hauled out over 300 loads of branches in 2days.

Ah man, this working for a living sure gets in the way of all my fun. A friend just called and said there's 20 birds right near my blind, right now. Maybe if this rain/snow/slop quits before morning I'll get a crack at 'em.

Ah man, this working for a living sure gets in the way of all my fun. A friend just called and said there's 20 birds right near my blind, right now. Maybe if this rain/snow/slop quits before morning I'll get a crack at 'em.

I was right by your shop today but figured you were out hunting. I guess I should have stopped in.

Very nice! Where's his beard, how long? Got to be pretty decent I would think 10" or better.

blush Wasn't going to bring that up. Worst case of "beard rot" I've ever seen. Less than 2", brownish yellow jake looking thing.

Don't know much about it, but I guess it's not that uncommon on older birds after a hard winter.

Don. Hey. 57 scores a Young Tom or last years jake with a 7.25" beard and weighed 16.8 lbs but the bad news is it didnt have spurs.I knew my days were limited so I knew I wouldnt get many chance from looking at the forcast and only having two days to hunt. I took pics with my tag with my name, beard lenght with tape measure and me holding it with the weight on the scale. Was wondering am I missing anything?

1957, WTG! Congrats on the bird. No spurs? Wierd. Hen maybe? 16 lbs would be a huge hen. Anyway, way to go. Only thing missing is the photo with you holding your trophy with a big smile on your face. Then you need to fill out the form and take a photo of that. Add them all to the submission thread. Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks guys, the old man was pretty excited. Here's the story.

I set the blind Sunday afternoon in the spot where we watched the strutters the last two mornings. We climbed in just before 5:30 this morning. Birds had just started sounding off as we got comfortable. Lots of hen talk along with some gobbling. I even saw a couple birds still in the trees. They started pitching down early, about 5:40. They all flew onto the neighboring property, about 150 yards away.

There was 18 or 20 total. One nice strutter, and a handful of jakes. Absolutely no more talk after they hit the ground. Just after 6 I heard a gobble. Dad lost his hearing aid and was basically deaf. I told him there was a gobble straight behind us. "Oh, okay" He was watching all the birds in his binos. Then another gobble. Much closer. "Dad, another one." Close. "Oh?" "Dad, put down the glasses and get your gun.....Get ready." Then another gobble right outside the blind. Less than 10 yards. We can hear his wings scraping the ground. Dad says "I heard him fly." I said "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! He's right here." shocked

Next thing I see him on Dads side only 10' away, full strut and running into the deeks. He was right on top of my Best Turkey Decoy jake. I wanted to tell him to wait till he cleared my deek and BOOM! The deep was done. My deek spun around a couple times. eek I'm sure I can find a few pellets in there if I looked hard enough.

Anyway, he dumped him at 15 yards. It was 6:15. Same place he shot his last year. Big bird, much bigger than anything I've ever shot. Jealous? Naw. Proud as can be of my old man. Hope I'm still hunting when I'm 89. smile

That's a great story! I took my grandpa out yesterday - he's 76. He didn't bring his hearing aid out either... afraid he would lose it. Our conversations were loud and he had no idea that birds were gobbling 50 yds away. Had 3 jakes at 30 yds and he'd try to "whisper" something to me. Sounded like the PA system at the Twin's game! smile We had some close calls and had birds around us all morning, but no shots. Today's a new day though!

Don.Thanks!!I need help to post this information and how to do it on here. It had absolutely no spurs. The guy I registered it at said to that it was definately a Tom. He said that he has registered 1 this year that did not have any spurs already and said he has seen that before in the area. Genetics maybe? Who know's. Good to shoot one though and get on the board. Let me know how and thanks 57

57, you want to email me those photos? Otherwise go to the photography forum and there is directions there how to post pics. It's really pretty easy.

Set up a free account at "Photobucket", then upload your photos there. Then you just need to copy and paste the %7Boption%7D code for each photo onto the submission thread.

Don. hey I will need help to post or I can e-mail all to you and you can. I cant figure that stuff out. Not on computer that much! E-mail address and I will send it top you. Thanks 57

Don. hey I will need help to post or I can e-mail all to you and you can. I cant figure that stuff out. Not on computer that much! E-mail address and I will send it top you. Thanks 57

PM sent.

Was really excited after Dads big score Monday, but the snow yesterday sent them to parts unknown. Never heard a peep. Did see a strutter near my blind last night, but he showed just briefly this morning before heading bck into the woods, never to be seen again.

Gonna try to get out tonight. It ain't over by a long shot yet. smile