• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"We're #1" Official Site

DonBo

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HSO Forum Member

Turkey Contest 2013

Complete this form with your turkey’s measurements. Include photos of your turkey’s spurs and beard with a ruler or tape measure. Include in one of the photos your turkeys filled out tag or slip of paper with the date of the harvest. The turkey’s weight must be witnessed and signed by you and the witness below on this form.

Forum Member:____________________ Date:_____________

Team Name: _________________________________

Youth Hunter(17 or younger):Yes _______ No ________

Turkey Subspecies: _____________________

State/Province Bird was Harvested In: ____________________

Turkey’s Stats

Beard Length ____________inches

Spur Length ® _________inches (L)_________inches

Weight ___________ pounds

The certify that the measurements listed above are accurate to the best of my ability.

Forum Member: ________________________ Date:_________

Witness:____________________________ Date: ________

Above is the official form to register your bird in the contest. Please print out a couple before your hunt and bring along with you. Don't forget to take photos of all the measurements. Bring along, if you can, a digital scale for the weight.

Good luck all!

Well it was a cooold morning. I went with a couple of hunting buddies. They hunted together in one blind and I went to a different field with mine. We got out there and set up well before first light. I was able to find a spot that was protected by the wind fairly decent. Once I got set up in the blind and legal shooting light was at hand I started to do some calling. It didn't take long to get a response in the timber behind me, but that was it. I heard a couple of gobbles and saw nothing. About a 1/2 hour after sunrise I saw a truck pull into one of the parking areas near me. The old fella took his time getting his stuff all ready (20min +) and then proceeded to walk out from the road about 250yds and set up his blind. After about 1/2hr of hunting it was coffee time and back to the truck he went for another 1/2hr. When the coffee was gone out he emerged again taking his time to head back to the blind. It was kind of like watching an old badger or something wondering around. That's public land for ya. After sitting in the blind until around 10:30 my buddies had had enough and we met up at the truck. They didn't hear or see anything, so I guess my morning was better than theirs. Oh ya as we were walking back to the truck the old fella must of gotten hungry because back to the truck he walked. We drove around for a little while and the private ground next to the public ground had some turkey's on it. It looked like a bunch of jakes & 2 toms strutting around. Didn't seem like there were much for hens with them. They're out there just have to keep after it!

I am in and ready DonBo. Thanks guys. I hunt in the wabasha area in the zone 501B and cant wait. Havent been there to scout yet but going out with my son and grandson today to hunt the first week with them. YaHoo!! 57

Don were you hunting just north of me this morning?

The reason I ask is I could here someone open up with a 5 round barrage and remembered from years past that is your turkey hunting MO shockedlaugh

You are SUCH a funny guy! It's easy to be cocky when the tags already punched, huh?

Quote:
Don were you hunting just north of me this morning?

The reason I ask is I could here someone open up with a 5 round barrage and remembered from years past that is your turkey hunting MO

That made my afternoon right there! lol grin

Seemed like every other turkey post I read that year was Don missing another one!!! laugh

Just for everyone's entertainment, here's parts of my posts from May 2010.

Broke out the shotgun this morning and hit a new spot. Lots of birds. Missed a big one. Twice! Grrrrrrrrrrr. Two more days...

Been out scouting with Hunter and the spots he plans on hunting are holding birds....but not much strutting they've been pretty much feeding in large groups.Leaning towards taking him C season with next weeks forecast.

So what's up with Hunter? Are we going out this weekend, or waiting for season 3?

Well my mood brightened immensely this morning. Scouted out a few of my properties and they got better and better.

Spot 1. Several gobbles but none close. Walked around and saw tracks from 4 hens that walked through sometime yesterday, nothing more. This was still WAY better than what I saw here last week.

Spot 2. Got out of the truck and immediately heard gobbling. Lots of gobbling! This is a small property and all the activity was on the neighbors, but there were lots of tracks on my side of the fence. This was very promising.

Spot 3. Drove along a road that borders this property and saw a couple strutters. Pulled out the binos and spotted two more toms just inside the woodline. Sweet! This is the spot where my 88 year old Dad shot his bird last year. Just a few weeks later, I brought a young lady out here and she shot a huge tom with her bow. Her first hunt of any kind ever. I am pumped!

Later, I called my Dad to tell him the good news. He proceded to tell me that he just talked to another landowner who's property we hunt. Just the other day, he said he hadn't seen a bird all winter, BUT, just yesterday he saw 20+ in a picked corn field bordering his property, AND, 16 birds in his pasture! This just gets better and better. We're going here tomorrow morning to listen.

Now if only the weather will cooperate. We start Monday.

Sounds promising Don,good luck! Hunter will be hunting the 3rd season. Looks like next weeks forecast is supposed to be a little warmer ... birds seem to be breaking up, haven't seen big flocks like last week.

Another awesome morning of scouting. Two big strutters right where we want to set up for tomorrow morning. Went back later this afternoon to set the blind and saw 17 just over the fenceline on the neighbors property. LOADS of tracks in the area. Pretty excited about tomorrow.

This is about getting my Dad a bird, so I'm gonna carry a gun as long as he's hunting...just in case we have a shot at a double. That would be sweet. After (if) he gets one, I'll probably carry my bow. We'll see how the week plays out.

Good luck to you 57!

Matt, did you get out this weekend?

Don. Hey, good luck to you and your father! I went out tonight and finally seeing some birds on the move. Didnt see much if any after the snow. Discouraging but thats what makes it fun. I really have a good feeling going into tomorrow. Hope it stays half way decent through wed. morning, then I have to head back to home. We got all that ice there and lots of damage to clean up. (nobles county) got it really bad. 57