• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Widest tires for my Ranger?

ac777

Have an 01 Ranger 500 Looking to put the widest and tallest Possible tires on it that I can fit, if I have to lift it some thats ok. Reason being is I need it to go thru mud, Pasture and fields and not get stuck, and the little tires on there now just aren't cutting it, or maybe I should say they are cutting it since they seem to cut right into the ground. If I had to get different Rims to do it that would be ok as long as I can make them fit on my 4 bolt lugs.

larger tires can easily be compensated for my simply making some changes to the clutching. Swap out clutch springs and weights and it will not notice much of a difference.

there are a few aftermarket companies that offer clutch kits for these situations.

Big tires need more ponies to turn them. I would be ask the dealer before I spend a bunch of money on lift kits, new tires & rims only to find the 500 can't turn them properly.

Most dealers or tire shops will not make suggestions to you because they do not want to make suggestions outside what the car is rated for because of liability. I tried to get some bigger tires on my Saturn Vue and the tire shop guys told me that they would not sell anything to me other then what is on the label of the SUV! frown

I will admit that the tires on it now are getting wore down, but if I am going to get new ones, I want them big! I'm not worried about the 500 turning them, it actually has pretty decent power. If not, I will re clutch it like rundrave suggested.

Big tires need more ponies to turn them.

^^What he said^^. Mud is also going to tax this machine heavily. At a minimum, a clutch kit will be required as mentioned earlier.

One thing that might work against you is wider tires as noted in the title. Wide tires are only going to promote more flotation and thus, less traction. You should be looking at taller tires and deep lugs, not wider. Taller tires will get down to "terra firma" where the traction is and provide more ground clearance. Not to mention a narrower profile creating less resistance to forward motion.

Getting back to your original question.

If you want some good mud tires, I would recommend Maxxis Zillas.

I have them on my 08 Sportsman and they will tear the heck out of mud, sand and snow.

I have 10X14X27" on the fronts, 12X14X27" on the rears and I have no lift kit and no problem turning these without a clutch kit.

Getting back to your original question.

If you want some good mud tires, I would recommend Maxxis Zillas.

I have them on my 08 Sportsman and they will tear the heck out of mud, sand and snow.

I have 10X14X27" on the fronts, 12X14X27" on the rears and I have no lift kit and no problem turning these without a clutch kit.

Is that a 500 sportsman?

Most dealers or tire shops will not make suggestions to you because they do not want to make suggestions outside what the car is rated for because of liability. I tried to get some bigger tires on my Saturn Vue and the tire shop guys told me that they would not sell anything to me other then what is on the label of the SUV! frown

Ha, looked back at this post and actually I was not drinking! I thought the subject was a Ford Ranger! grin

Pays to read what thread your on before posting! blush

On subject I would go with a set of either ITP or Maxxis! wink