• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TEAM 2: "HOOK HUNTERS" Official Site

sticknstring

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha (aka did i get one) no not last night or this morning for that matter. Unfortunately there was a guy trespassing unintentionally right where i wanted to set up last night. It wasn't a huge deal as i talked to the land owner with him and he felt bad that he was about 250 yards onto the wrong property. He was an older gentleman, and was very sorry about it so it wasn't a major problem. Tonight i will be going out to that spot so hopefully my luck will turn around.

Well boys i ended up getting one today at 315pm. So here is the story....

It started out wed. morning, i was hunting with a couple buddies whom were filming for me. We had one come in to about 75 yards behind us. We were looking to get some good footage so we didn't put a stalk on it also we didn't want to bump many birds around. Wednesday night through Friday around noon it was snowing or raining so hunting was slow or non-existant. Friday night i roosted a flock of 3 gobblers with 8 hens, it was going to be very nice saturday morning so i was excited. On saturday morning when i arrived the birds were not there which was frustrating, they also didn't make any noise as it was 25-29 degrees until about 9am so that dampered any possible success. Saturday night i had 4 hens at 8 yards from my blind but no gobblers showed. Had to go to church with my family at 8am today so i couldn't go out this am which was also frustrating. So at 245 i headed out to my blind and i was ready to do whatever it was going to take to put a bird on the ground. As i was about 50 yards from my blind i let out a series of yelps which triggered a gobble only 100 yards away. I quickly got into my blind and called a few more times and the gobbles got closer and closer, eventually the bird came out from the woods and was 55 yards away from me in the bean field. I shut up and the bird started strutting and kept getting closer. When the bird hit 25 yards i hit to loud yelps and he put his head up....He was aquainted with my #5 load.

Ended up being 22lbs, with 9.5" beard, and 7/8" spurs

full-28265-32330-img_0182.jpg

Thanks elevatorguy, I need some luck. Not seeing any birds in my usual places - fields still snow covered. Heard my first gobble at 3:30 pm today. Saw 2 coyotes and 2 sets of bear tracks but only 1 hen. The snow tonight isn't going to help things!

Glad we got one on the board.

Not much to report. I've been out each day and have heard little gobbling, larger flocks, not much activity in the fields, and no response to calls. Tough when the roosts in both of my areas are on private land and the turkeys are bunched up in the woods not willing to come give me a look on public land. I did get a return gobble today which has been the most attention they showed me all week. Been spending a lot of time on a small DNR food plot one flock has been visiting from time to time. Missed them by a couple hours yesterday evening. I was sitting at one of my spots while the flock visited the food plot at the other spot (snow all tracked up)! One more day!

Started out my hunt the same way I've had since 1993. Get up at 2:30 in the morning and make the drive to Lake City to my Aunts Farm in time to see the sunrise and also see that the field is not plowed uug. Make the walk across the the field with all my gear it seems like I add more each year. Set up my blind in the same spot that I had for the last 6 years and then set up my decoys the same way also. Setteled into the blind and still no sounds yet pulled out my slate and made a couple of sounds and had 2 Gobblers 1 in front of me and 1 behind. Kept on calling and it seemed like they were hung up then it went quiet around 7:00 so I pulled out my box call and hit it and got some hens to talk back and then I saw him about 100 yds to my left. I then switched back to my slate and hit some clucks and purrs he then saw Mr. Sandman (my full strut Tom). He then started to make his move with 2 hens in tow. He made his way behind the hill and into sight about 20 yds away and in full strut he went right at my decoy he was stopping at 10 yds away. After the shot I could see the 2 hens were still around and flew away when I got out of the blind. When I walked up to the Turkey I noticed it had 2 beards and knew I had to get it recorded right for the NWTF books with a score of 76.748 what can I say but WOW full-4484-32645-dsc_0978.jpg

full-4484-32646-img_20130427_00277.jpg

full-4484-32647-img_20130427_00285.jpg