• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jig trailers

bassfshin24

What is everyone's favorite jig trailer to use? I know different conditions call for different trailers. Would like to see what other people are using.

Right now I pretty much use three:

Cold water I will use a sweet beaver

The rest of the time I use either a Netbaits Paca craw or a Berkly chigger craw

My favorite is Z Mann Flappin' Crawz because of their durability. You can pull a claw more than a foot away from the body before it starts to rip. Very durable craw for skipping jigs or fishing lakes with lots of little bass/hungry sunfish.

I bought ten packs of Big Bite Baits Limited Edition Swimming Craw as it was on sale for $1.50/pack. I'm not a fan and ended up giving away my last five packs.

I do love Berkely Chigger Craws (and berkley crazy legs chigger craw) in the 4" as the fish seem to hold onto them better. However, they aren't very durable so I only use them for tournaments/league night.

Trailer depends on how fast a fall I want.

Most of the time, in clear water, I want a fast fall, so it's usually a Chigger Craw or Strike King KVD Chunk, or the chunks from Christopherson's - depending on which color I happen to need. Every company out there makes these types of baits more or less, so I'm not that choosy.

For a slower fall, I do like the Rage Craws or Chunks, or something wider/bulkier like a beaver-type bait.

Simple answer to the durability problem... Hitch Series trailer keepers.

Amazing how much longer trailers last with these things. Bet it's cut the number of baits I go through in half if not more than that.

Simple answer to the durability problem... Hitch Series trailer keepers.

Amazing how much longer trailers last with these things. Bet it's cut the number of baits I go through in half if not more than that.

I actually do have the Hitch trailer keepers in my arsenal. Paca baits, its those dang claws that are the problem and the soft plastic of Reaction Innovation products.

Chigger Craws and Rage Chunks get 90% of my use, brush hawgs the other 10%. Ive found that the hitch series trailer keepers don't save me many trailers. I rarely lose my trailer all together, what happens to me is I lose a claw or both 2c

Chigger craw or beaver for sure.

On swim jigs I really like the fat grub from Christophersons Bait in Alexandria, hands down the best plastics I have used, actually come to think of it the beavers and senkos I buy are from there too.

Try the Zmann flappin craws. I typically cut a 1/2" or so off to shorten them up. I wrote "cut" because you can't pinch them off like you can with all of the other trailers. Seriously, the plastic that they use is amazingly durable. Try to pinch the tail off, you will be amazed. It is also a soft plastic that floats.

The perfect trailer:

Shape of a Strike King rage tail chunk

Durability and softness of Zmann plastic

Claws float up like Zmann flappin craw

Scent of Berkley chigger craw

Cost of Netbait Paca chunk

I use Netbait, trigger x flappin craw and flappin bug, christoperson's sweet beaver, berkley crazy legs and normal chigger.

My favorite is the flappin' craw even tho i go through a bag a day usually and they're expensive.

because the claw comes off or because it gets all chewed up?

If chewed up... you need to invest in some hitch series...

Not a day goes by that I dont have some sort of jig tied on.. and I used to go through a ton of trailers.. until I started using hitch series trailer hitch.

Last night I did a little experiment, comparing the trailers leftover in my tacklebox from last year. Let me know if you want to see the picts. This is what I found:

Do the claws float?

Berkley chigger craw = yes

Netbait Paca Craw = yes

Zman flappin craw = yes, this one had the best floating claws

Strike King Rage Tail Chunk = no

Big Bite Baits Swimming Craw = no

After being in the water for five minutes, does it have any scent?

Berkley chigger craw = yes, by far the most scent of any

Netbait Paca Craw = yes, medium smell

Zman flappin craw = No scent

Strike King Rage Tail Chunk = little scent

Big Bite Baits Swimming Craw = no scent

I like the Trigger X Flappin Craws. One of my new favorites is the YUM Woolly Bully, they are a bit bulky which is good and the claws have a good action when pulled faster.

because the claw comes off or because it gets all chewed up?

If chewed up... you need to invest in some hitch series...

Not a day goes by that I dont have some sort of jig tied on.. and I used to go through a ton of trailers.. until I started using hitch series trailer hitch.

Because the claws fall off after a few fish, even sunnies and smallish bass just rip the claws off, but i suppose thats the case for most jig trailers.

But NEVER, EVER use a flappin' craw in any lake with a decent rock bass population, my god (lake miltona)

The flappin' craw just has such bomb-as$ action and scent. But thanks for the tip on the trailer-keepers. I use mostly terminator jigs( or i favor them) and they have a decent bait-keeping system...

I think this is a picture of one of the hitch series trailer hitch... check it out, looks interesting. [img:center]http://Trailer_Hitch_zps77c8152e.jpg